Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Smugglers Tunnels - Benfleet, Essex | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Lead or Rumour info - Smugglers Tunnels - Benfleet, Essex

MattEssex

28DL Member
28DL Member
Having spoken to various family members and researched in on the internet, they believe the smugglers tunnels still to be there.

Does anybody no any think about these tunnels?

Thanks

Matt

pantomime horse

Nay Nay and thrice Nay
28DL Full Member
"Just as a point of interest... on the photograph showing the original building of the Hoy & Helmet Public House, with the tower of St. Mary's Church behind it... in the church graveyard there is (or used to be) a pirate's gravestone - actually carved with a skull and crossbones on it.

skull and crossbones on a grave is just a sign of mortality.
it has nothing to do with the corpse being a pirate.

pirates took the skull and crossbones symbol for their flag to show they didn't fear death

pantomime horse

Nay Nay and thrice Nay
28DL Full Member
tampering with graves is really not a good idea

unless you are an archeologist

MattEssex

28DL Member
28DL Member
I will be going over to the church and the hoy and helmet this [REMOVED] weekend, not to dig up graves! Just to see if I can establish if there is still an entrance!

I’ll keep you posted!

Be careful about posting dates etc mate, anyone can be reading this

Ordnance

Pirates & Smugglers are two different things really, and while I can see the link with public houses, I cannot see why they lead to the church which agreed have different reasons to have tunnels! Was the church that dishonest that it did not want to pay duty on alter wine? LoL

Why was a Pirate buried on land? Did he die of old age? as most seaman who died at sea were buried at sea.

Just observations, not criticisms by the way...

BtP Liam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I know alot about Canvey's history, and I've heard several rumors that a smugglers tunnel runs from the Lobster Smack pub (which was used by smugglers in the day) to Benfleet