real time web analytics
Report - - Sokołowsko Sanatorium - Poland - March 2012 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sokołowsko Sanatorium - Poland - March 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

wea5el

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The birthplace of TB treatment

The site I really wanted to visit .. sadly for all involved it was 75km from anywhere else!

In 1854 when the area was called Görbersdorf and fell within German borders the Countess Maria von Colomb, a niece of Prussian General and her brother-in-law Hermann Brehmer established a health resort for consumptive patients. This was the worlds first sanatorium for the treatment of tuberculosis. The care included a method of hydrotherapy (the Priessnitz method) and also a precursory method of climatic-dietetic treatment. The treatment resort became famous and their methods were copied all over the world.

After WW2 the Sanatorium came within Polish borders and the area gained its name of Sokołowsko in honour of the merits of the Polish Alfred Sokołowski who had been a close co-worker of Hermann Brehmer. The now-called Grunwald sanatorium has continued to operate as a public anti-consumptive resort, while large parts of the facilities decayed.

In 1970s the settlement was to be transformed into Provincial Centre of Winter Sports, but due to lack of resources the project was not completed.

We visitied in March .... it was lovely and sunny in town, but I was up to my knees in snow at some points!

A postcard from its German era
190645.jpg

Today ...

The Town
PolandMarch2012284.jpg

PolandMarch2012290.jpg

PolandMarch2012245.jpg

PolandMarch2012251.jpg

PolandMarch2012263.jpg

PolandMarch2012265.jpg

PolandMarch2012258.jpg

PolandMarch2012274.jpg

Frozen!
PolandMarch2012261.jpg

Hidden well ... we trod extra carefully after seeing this!
PolandMarch2012270.jpg

Only outside shots as after finding the hidden well we didnt really want to ventre to far in the snow incase we went a long way down! :eek:

More here: http://www.pastremnants.com/soko322owsko-sanatorium.html

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details