real time web analytics
Report - - Soldiers' Home caves & Cowgate tunnel/Durham Hill Tunnel november 2011 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Soldiers' Home caves & Cowgate tunnel/Durham Hill Tunnel november 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Right yet again this was a revisit which I have yet again discovered I have not reported on this site..
I’m not going to be able to come close to the history reported on in this report HERE :thumb

Visited with Space Invader,Maniac ,One flew east,Teebs and Fortknox0 with his new Nikon!

So here’s a small bit of history I used in my report from October last year elsewhere…

This is the Eastern end of a large tunnel complex in Snargate Street, which began as seperate tunnels but were linked during WW2 for use as air raid shelters. The main part of this section is the 900ft long Cowgate Tunnel which connected Snargate Street with Durham Hill. Unfortunately, this tunnel was penetrated by a shell during WW2 which resulted in the death of 63-year old Mrs. Patience Ransley, who was sheltering inside at the time. The tunnel is blocked at the point of the shell penetration, which occurred within the grounds of Cowgate Cemetery on the surface. It is however possible to go much further than the blockage , but conditions are poor due to roof falls and rotten timber props. Due to redevelopment of the Durham Hill area, the entrance at that end seems to have vanished. The passage going West from the main entrance tunnel passes a vent shaft and kiln, and was originally known as 'Soldiers' Home Caves', due to them being behind the old Soldiers' Home.

Now a bit arse about face but there was a few of us so we split up and two of us went up the far end of Cowgate tunnel where the bomb breached and worked our way back.

CSC_0008.jpg

CSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

Now down to the nice unlined and slightly worse for wear section..

DSC_0018.jpg

Both sides of the bricked up divider!

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

Right hand tunnel

DSC02138.jpg

Left hand tunnel

DSC_0030.jpg

Part of the lime kiln intersected by the arp spur..

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

Locked section leading into Crouchers caves!!

DSC_0042.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited: