real time web analytics
Report - - Some Belgian Industry - December 2017 (Pic Heavy) | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Some Belgian Industry - December 2017 (Pic Heavy)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

J4M35_UK

MEDOTDOOTC
28DL Full Member
Right, I've not posted a report for about ten years (or something) so felt I ought to contribute. These are a few shots from our recent trip across to Belgium to hit loads of creamy industrial dereliction. Visited with Goldie87 and my wife. All of the photos are shot with a 28mm prime on grain-tastic poundland film

It started off pretty badly, with the M1 badly snowed under and at a standstill due to an accident. We were sat in the same place for three hours, which meant that by the time we were moving we had already missed the ferry and still had two hours to go. About five miles later the car started intermittently making nasty screeching noises and losing power, turns out the cold had killed off the power steering fluid and chewed up the auxiliary belt, so £150 worth of garage bills and another three hours later we were back on the move. That's what you get for buying shit cars off of Gumtree I suppose.

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 15.54.39.png

As soon as we got into Belgium we headed to the hotel having had to write the first day off, and immediately headed into Leuven, where we drank strong beer and ate frites with plenty of samourai sauce. Could be worse.

The next day we headed straight to our first target of the day. It probably has some stupid codename but for the purposes of this, it's a cokeworks. A bloody massive one that only closed very recently. Aside from a little bit of cable stripping evidence there was little to suggest that many people had been here and the place was in very good condition.

Photo20_17A.jpg

Photo07_4A.jpg

Photo11_8A.jpg

Photo19_16A.jpg

Photo21_18A.jpg

After here we headed back to the car and set the satnav for the next location, but upon setting off it became apparent that the car now had a terrible misfire and wouldn't go above 40mph. It seemed like fuel starvation so the first thing I decided to do was change the fuel filter. A few poorly spoken phonecalls later, we were on the way to a car parts shop, where I used google translate to somehow order the correct part. Then it turned out that the filter was located between the rear axle and the boot floor and could only be changed from below. Great. Cue several hours of driving around looking for high kerbs or anything to raise the car up. But there was nothing. So we limped the car to the next location via a lorry garage, who were very helpful and allowed me unsupervised use of their workshop and wouldn't let me pay them. You wouldn't get that in the UK!

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 16.jpg

So after changing the fuel filter and finding out that the misfire remained we again limped the car to the hotel via a lead I had been meaning to check out for years - A very old boiler making factory. Little remained apart from the maintenance stores and drawing offices, but it was rather nice nonetheless.

Photo06_3A.jpg

Photo08_5A.jpg

The next day after getting the car diagnosed and repaired at a garage (another £150, it was the coil pack) we headed to our location for the day. This place made forging and rolling machinery for the numerous steelworks in the area. Some stripping had taken place compared to previous reports of the place, but many interesting features remained including steam turbines, vast ancient substations, control rooms, decaying offices and huge parts stores. We managed to spend the entire day in here and still could have seen more. In classic style we awkwardly climbed through a window only to find an open door. Typical. Shout out to the Belgians we met in there if you're reading this!

Photo12_9A.jpg

Photo15_12A.jpg

Photo16_13A.jpg

Photo20_17A-2.jpg

Photo25_22A.jpg

Photo24_21A-2.jpg

After another evening of strong beer and excellent food we headed to the final location (cheers Joe) which was conveniently located on the way to the ferry. This one was a real gem. Incorrectly codenamed as a power station it is actually a compressor house and dates back to the late 1800s. I would say the electrical gear inside can't be much newer either. After slogging through loads of mud and thorns we found a way in and were immediately rendered very impressed.

Photo05_5.jpg

Photo07_7.jpg

Photo11_11.jpg

Photo06_6.jpg

So yeah, overall a very expensive trip but these are my favourite type of places so I'm still not disappointed. Hope you enjoyed looking at the photos. Sorry they're all grainy as hell but that's just one of the joys of poundland film (RIP)

Attachments

• Photo09_6A.jpg
    Photo09_6A.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

J4M35_UK

MEDOTDOOTC
28DL Full Member
Proper enjoyed that. Not pic heavy at all either....I'd be happy to see more of that creamy film.

Cheers, might stick a few more up at some point then! Ideally need to find a better place to scan them, Spielmanns is ok but the file size is tiny.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Love this report, the photography is second to none. despite the set backs it looks like a good trip.

jST

LLS.
Regular User
Winning, very chuffed that the little vintage compressor house worked out for you. Bossing the fillem too boss.