real time web analytics
Report - - Some of Connaught/St Brigid's Asylum's Finer Details | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Some of Connaught/St Brigid's Asylum's Finer Details

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Ballistic in Ballinasloe

Like many I'm sure, I came across some snaps from in here by @Cloth Head and @AndyK and thought cor'. Lovely aesthetics of the corridors, warm colours and a just the right amount of Mid-Wales stye entropic decay and foliage getting involved in the scene: tasty recipe. It wasn't until I actually made it inside myself that I actually learnt how many more nooks and crannies full of wealths of paperwork, equipment, furniture and all the other things we love from a big indoor labyrinth like this there were. It sits on the outskirts of a quaint middle-Irish town with a rather intriguing and (as far as I'm aware) unique X shaped layout. As far as one's best judgement goes it is not vandalised at all, and local residents seem to see it as a sort of national iconoclast of Ireland's healthcare past - about which Irish historians still speak of in remorse even nowadays. Nevertheless, it is listed by Ireland's National Trust as a 'building at high risk', 'suffering from neglect and/or poor maintenance', and 'vacant with no identified new use'. As a visitor to a museum/guerilla historian/derpologist like we all are, I thought it'd be rude to not take the case and do a 'finer details' rundown for this one.

Built in 1833, there are several well hidden but very nice snippets of history on it around the world wide web which I will point you in the direction of; http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=GA®no=30334010 (for architecture), https://www.historyireland.com/18th...unatic-asylum-in-the-late-nineteenth-century/ (general history), https://www.mhcirl.ie/File/IRs/StBrigBallinas_Ir2012.pdf (an unannounced audit one year before closure on the performance of all the hospital's operation aspects), http://connachttribune.ie/dilapidated-st-brigids-hospital-bad-for-ballinasloe-329/ (public opinion and future in the community), and finally https://www.facebook.com/pg/St-Brigids-Hospital-Heritage-Group-545623688891042/community/?mt_nav=0 (archive photos). Apparently closed for good as late as 2013 (?!), the Emerald Isle's nature must have moved in real quick and in full force. It's not been Talgarthed just yet, but at least it's not being Severall'd either - the way moss and lichen have begun to peel paint and ooze out of the floor is just so.

As usual though I was travelling light and packing a totally meagre camera. Hope it managed to scrape some mood together. To kick things off I have to go with this room - probably my favourite, it's just such an odd scene. I mean what the ras is this, curtained windows looking out onto another corridor, a random bed frame, and right next to the kitchen/dining areas no less. One of those vistas you just have to smile at.

dsc01258.jpg

Technology pretty inert in here

dsc01262.jpg

This sign, situated in the former kitchen and dining area, was not damn lying

dsc01270.jpg

Heavy crew over here

dsc01278.jpg

Despite its X shape, the asylum does not in fact feel super compact, and is a sizeable circuit to navigate.

dsc01274.jpg

In a murky haze... Here is one of the dozens or so literature pit stops in St Brigid's, this time in HR. The briefcase was full of shredded newspaper.

dsc01289.jpg

Majestic ornamentation in a meeting hall of two corridors

dsc01306.jpg

Where many a diverse soul, be they professional or confused and purged, would have hopefully sat by the fire on a December night

dsc01307.jpg

A dream in peach: one of the many radiant corridors stemming out to wards - this one to the north west.

dsc01311.jpg

No signs of squatting. Many rooms adorned with paintings of a saint.

dsc01318.jpg

This is taking the piss now.

dsc01322.jpg

An example of the pretty formulaic style of decorative artwork found around held in front of an upstairs ward corridor.

dsc01361.jpg

Wares from distant lands

dsc01356.jpg

The hospital no doubt catered for all age cohorts, and some soft comfort from when entertaining the wee'uns was simpler rests in a corner

dsc01345.jpg

All your kitchen essentials can be found in various arrangements in many kitchinettes that reside in the upstairs wards.

dsc01366.jpg

:/

dsc01375.jpg

dsc01391.jpg

One of the classic corridors. The cells are interesting. Many are void of contents but the colour shemes remain. Recurring items that do appear in them include; tinsel, mini fridges, paintings of saints, admin

dsc01392.jpg

Now for a glimpse of the reception area

dsc01404.jpg

dsc01408.jpg

There's a rather scandalous amount of data confidentiality act concentrated around here. And some simple inspiration to keep good vibes going.

dsc01413.jpg

Self explanatory. The room is pretty inside.

dsc01416.jpg

Sourcing fairly local in this ward. Other pharmaceutics found around originate from Switzerland, Japan...

dsc01421.jpg

National pride

dsc01430.jpg

Each corridor that little bit special. The doors on this one even had some remnants of nametag stickers of patients - you can see vaguely in the windows

dsc01425.jpg

The rains had cometh a bit more in one of the Easterly wards' upstairs lounge areas' kitchinette, but it looked a stunner.

dsc01440.jpg

A classic timepasser for those patients doing long stints in St Brigid's.

dsc01445.jpg

A threshold that spoke to me

dsc01458.jpg

Ward 4.

dsc01459.jpg

Last edited:

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Another bountiful literature pit stop...

dsc01476.jpg

dsc01486.jpg

The basement sections are lowkey sizeable. All sorts down there.

dsc01493.jpg

Yeah this is the same building!

dsc01487.jpg

The cave

dsc01494.jpg

Flu season checklist.

dsc01496.jpg

In the audit report listed at the start one can find that such a mission statement was deemed effective until fairly recent years. Something about how it's transformed since is telling about how the world's a' changin', somehow...

DSC01321.JPG

To finish off here is the only other creature that I found chillin' with me in here on that day. It was a serene afternoon in a lil' slice of hospital derp paradise, and I think far and away my favourite hospital I've seen because of the sheer variety and something i can't quite put my finger on.

DSC01469.JPG

No more lamenting on this one.

Cheers
O

DSC01504.JPG

Last edited:

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report!

It's a shame that mirror now seems to be missing all of its glass!

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Thanks Six - which mirror are you referring to by the way?

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Ooh of course, I presumed it was a boarded up window but it could well have been a painting of mirror actually

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Blimey that's going downhill fast... I actually had a nice chat with the caretaker here and the admin manager from the newer bit. Couldn't have been more pleasant and waited till the conversation naturally ended before they showed us out!

Fuzzball

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Jeebus. That looks like an intense place! Makes the classic red-brick asylums in England look positively radiant and inviting in comparison. This has tiny windows, feels very gloomy, like it'd always be dark inside even when the sun is shining outside. And what is with that mirror??? Very weird ornament for an asylum, that. Cracking pics!

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Jeebus. That looks like an intense place! Makes the classic red-brick asylums in England look positively radiant and inviting in comparison. This has tiny windows, feels very gloomy, like it'd always be dark inside even when the sun is shining outside. And what is with that mirror??? Very weird ornament for an asylum, that. Cracking pics!

I frequently forget I visited here but on thinking about it again it's definitely the most intriguing derelict hospital I've seen and exploring it provided a lot of curiosity at the time. Go visit, it's not really secured at all!

Fuzzball

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I frequently forget I visited here but on thinking about it again it's definitely the most intriguing derelict hospital I've seen and exploring it provided a lot of curiosity at the time. Go visit, it's not really secured at all!

It's a very striking place indeed so no surprise it captured your imagination. Aha, well I'm really trying to continue my recent momentum to explore places after some pretty silly missed opportunities. I'm in the right headspace for it now I think. Though Covid restrictions and the push for new housing developments are increasingly putting the brakes on my efforts.
This place is definitely on my list, so I'm hoping it won't become a giant BBQ or part of someone's new luxury apartment anytime soon.