real time web analytics
Report - - Sound Mirrors, Denge - September 2014 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sound Mirrors, Denge - September 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
These have always appealed to my eye, and so I thought it was about time I got down there.
This was the opposite of most places we go to...once you are on the island you have the whole place to yourself and it is deeply relaxed.
Not much of an 'exploration' but I though I would share anyhow.

The remains of an experiment to detect the sound of aircraft approaching over the Channel before the invention of RADAR, the concrete sound mirrors are now Scheduled Ancient Monuments and slowly falling apart. The experiment was not very successful, struggling to distinguish aircraft from ships, and given the increasing speeds of aircraft the amount of advance warning was of little use.

"It used to be possible for trespassers to gain access to the mirrors, but this is no longer physically possible. The deep lake created by gravel extraction has been extended to completely surround the mirrors, which are now on an island. The only access to the island is via a swing bridge, which is locked in the open position when not being used for guided walks.
The good news is that this should keep out vandals and undesirables!"

:D

DSC_0309-Copy.jpg

DSC_0316-Copy.jpg

DSC_0318-Copy.jpg

DSC_0345-Copy.jpg

DSC_0357-Copy.jpg

DSC_0373-Copy.jpg

DSC_0409-Copy.jpg

DSC_0416-Copy.jpg

DSC_0459-Copy.jpg

DSC_0492-Copy.jpg

'Access'
IMG_4280-Copy.jpg

DSC_0306-Copy.jpg

DJI00150-Copy.jpg

DJI00129-Copy.jpg

DJI00124-Copy.jpg

DJI00104-Copy.jpg

DJI00102-Copy.jpg

DJI00100-Copy.jpg

the126

Reckless & irresponsible
28DL Full Member
Nice one :thumb

Ive wanted to see these up close for a while now, was thinking about a dinghy. One of your pics answers a question i had about the depth of the water :D

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details