real time web analytics
Report - - South Bank Tower/Kings Reach Tower - London - March 2014 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - South Bank Tower/Kings Reach Tower - London - March 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Not the first time I've been in this block - went back in 1981 on a trip organized by an enterprising pupil who I was at school with who must have had a bit of a 2000AD comix obsession. The artists that produced the comic worked in the building at the time. For some reason I took a camera and snapped a few pics. They even gave us some free artwork which I lost soon after. Prolly be worth a fortune by now.

Untitled-13copy_zps207f7478.jpg

I also took the opportunity to take this rather fine study of a 4VEP at Waterloo which I feel I should share with you. They do not make trains like this any more.

Untitled-3copy_zps4d490908.jpg

Anyway, history...

South Bank Tower (formerly King's Reach Tower until 2013) is a high-rise building in Stamford Street, Southwark, London. It is a thirty storey structure 111 metres (364 ft) high and was completed in 1972, designed by the architect Richard Seifert and built by John Laing Construction Limited. As of 2013, the tower is undergoing extensive redevelopment.

The tower is a Brutalist-style building that was common at the time of its construction. The tower is similar in design to Tower 42, which was designed by the same architect.

I knew I would go up it, I knew I would take pictures at the top and I knew I would come back down again. Which, as it happens, was exactly how it worked out.

IMGP2150copy_zps907b443d.jpg

IMGP2147copy_zps4ce6ff24.jpg

IMGP2146-2copy_zpsd112b95a.jpg

IMGP2142copy_zpsce24df98.jpg

IMGP2137copy_zps0aa08c4b.jpg

IMGP2133copy_zps6fd43dc2.jpg

IMGP2132copy_zps6171918e.jpg

IMGP2129copy_zpsc9fef1c3.jpg

IMGP2125copy_zps4c047917.jpg

IMGP2148copy_zpsccec5c94.jpg

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some really nice night shots here man, I used to have a mega judge dredd poster on my wall right next to the tennis woman poster pulling her draws out of her bottom, shame you lost the artwork.

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Some really nice night shots here man, I used to have a mega judge dredd poster on my wall right next to the tennis woman poster pulling her draws out of her bottom, shame you lost the artwork.

Agreed.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice Night shots mate :) :thumb

Looks like a fairly quiet time in the old capital going by the traffic light trails

Rik UE

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice shots!

When we going back!! ;)

Oh and those stairs, think they were underestimated :D