Web
Analytics
Soviet Era Sports & Concert Hall - Vilnius - Lithuania - Autumn 2012 | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Soviet Era Sports & Concert Hall - Vilnius - Lithuania - Autumn 2012

docubyte

28DL Member
28DL Member
Visited with Andy Skotsko. I can't find much information on the history of the building unfortunately, but suffice to say this is a stunning example of Soviet brutalism, 70's I'm guessing, and still in fantastic condition by the looks of things.

We didn't get far inside as while closed, the building still has security. An tour-explore was requested (and considered by the seems of things) but didn't happen. It was possible to get a few shots of the interior through the glass facades.

8257128563_b62d8bbbd7_z.jpg

Main exterior via the walkways.

8258197442_2692cf8568_z.jpg

Brutalism

8258197322_fb5ce316fa_z.jpg

Exterior from the rear

8257128455_fb1d58a3df_z.jpg

Interior

Would have been great to have gotten inside, might try this one again.

Attachments

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
That's a really fab building, reminds me of something that Corbusier might have designed. However, the problem is, unless you actually get inside the building it's not really UE, which is what we are all about here. Look forward to seeing more from you though! :thumb

Fee

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks like an amazing building architecturally. Has definitely wet my appetite for more Lithuanian buildings, wish we could see more.
Nice one!

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The Soviet brutalist Palace of Concerts and Sports (1971) on the northern bank of Neris river is built on a place where Vilnius largest Jewish cemetary once stood (until it was destroyed by the Soviets in the 1950s). With the completion of new arenas this one is no longer used. Car park in front of it was turned into a grassland for memorial purposes in the 2000s.
VilniusSportoRumai.jpg

Attachments