real time web analytics
Report - - Soviet Nuclear Power Station, Cuba - May 2014 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Soviet Nuclear Power Station, Cuba - May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Darmon_Richter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I visited Cuba earlier this year, and one of my main targets was an unfinished nuclear power station that lies on the island’s Caribbean coast.

The project was funded by the Soviet Union, much to the horror of the US. Especially following the Chernobyl disaster in 1986, American wasn’t too pleased with the idea of another Soviet nuclear reactor being built just 180 miles off the coast of Florida.

As it turned out though, the fall of the Soviet Union left the project without funds and construction ground to a halt.

Getting inside this site took a bit of work, as we dodged guards and battled against intense swarms of mosquitos to sneak in along the canal built for cooling water. It was well worth the effort though!

After exploring the industrial ruins of the turbine hall, we made for the reactor itself.

There were plans to build two of these reactor towers, but while one was built up to 16 floors before being abandoned the other barely made it higher than a few storeys.

We got inside the main building, again by waiting and sneaking past guards, after which we began to climb through a series of chambers and curved corridors that run around the interior of the reactor.

We reached the top just in time for sunset. The roof had collapsed in places, and holes opened in the floor to reveal sheer falls down into the base of the building. Carefully stepping across the rubble and strewn equipment though, we made it to a porthole window on the coast side of the power station, and got to watch the sun go down over the Caribbean.

For more photos, more history, and a detailed account of our infiltration efforts, check out the full report on The Bohemian Blog: The Soviet Legacy: Inside Cuba’s Unfinished Nuclear Power Station

Cheers,
DR.

Abandoned-Nuclear-Power-Station-Cuba-by-D-Richter-1_zpsfb0b25ab.jpg

Abandoned-Nuclear-Power-Station-Cuba-by-D-Richter-2_zpsae1cd5e4.jpg

Abandoned-Nuclear-Power-Station-Cuba-by-D-Richter-3_zps48d6dfb7.jpg

Abandoned-Nuclear-Power-Station-Cuba-by-D-Richter-4_zpsb02ba756.jpg

Abandoned-Nuclear-Power-Station-Cuba-by-D-Richter-5_zps905178d8.jpg

Abandoned-Nuclear-Power-Station-Cuba-by-D-Richter-6_zps2b94761f.jpg

Abandoned-Nuclear-Power-Station-Cuba-by-D-Richter-7_zpsc4273d80.jpg

Abandoned-Nuclear-Power-Station-Cuba-by-D-Richter-8_zps232a9d61.jpg

Abandoned-Nuclear-Power-Station-Cuba-by-D-Richter-9_zps9ad897a9.jpg

Abandoned-Nuclear-Power-Station-Cuba-by-D-Richter-10_zps1de7a78c.jpg

Abandoned-Nuclear-Power-Station-Cuba-by-D-Richter-11_zpsfeb237cb.jpg

Abandoned-Nuclear-Power-Station-Cuba-by-D-Richter-12_zps7318ecce.jpg

Abandoned-Nuclear-Power-Station-Cuba-by-D-Richter-13_zps1041d2a9.jpg

Abandoned-Nuclear-Power-Station-Cuba-by-D-Richter-14_zps491a76df.jpg

Abandoned-Nuclear-Power-Station-Cuba-by-D-Richter-15_zpsc2ee1765.jpg

Abandoned-Nuclear-Power-Station-Cuba-by-D-Richter-16_zpse3ac456b.jpg

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Re: Soviet Nuclear Power Station, Cuba. May 2014.

Nice one mate, haven't seen this in a long time.

See anything else in Cuba?

Darmon_Richter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Thanks!

And yeah, I did a whole bunch of stuff in Cuba. Some rooftops, an old stadium, and a ghost town which was originally built to house workers at this plant. I'll put some of them on here, once I've got caught up sorting my photos.

Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member

That's pretty nice chap to put it mildly. Look forward to seeing some of the other stuff too.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User

Looks pretty cool mate i like the shots even if you did use flash ;)

Icecoldkitten

Hooked on curiosity
28DL Full Member

Ah man, that's beautiful. Wouldn't have wanted to be in there in the dark! I've been in reactor 5 in Chernobyl and that was just as much a death trap. Glad you made it out alive :) That sunset adds a bit of magic to some great shots

mattdonut

Like and subscribe
28DL Full Member

thats a pretty cool report, Cheers

huey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Really cool,hurry up with the other reports!

Darmon_Richter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Ah man, that's beautiful. Wouldn't have wanted to be in there in the dark! I've been in reactor 5 in Chernobyl and that was just as much a death trap. Glad you made it out alive :) That sunset adds a bit of magic to some great shots

Cheers! Coming out in the dark was a bit of a nightmare - we just took our time about it. The staircases were a mess. Only half finished, with a 16-floor drop where the steps didn't quite meet up!