real time web analytics
Report - - Spen Beck upstream part 1 July 2020 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Spen Beck upstream part 1 July 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Had a little traipse around t'other day and found my self in the local beck.....as you do !!!!!!!
The river becomes the Spen at the confluence of Hunsworth Beck and Nann Hall Beck north of Cleckheaton. It flows south past Liversedge and Heckmondwike before its outfall to the River Calder at Ravensthorpe
It is culveted in many areas but alas not much so in this direction, still thought I'd post this here as there is a little CSO and a big box of fresh for the finale as It runs alongside North Bierley WWTW which is currently being dismantled but still receives a some flow which isn't treated here but pumped into the new overground (mostly) sewer line which runs along the Greenway cycle path NCP66 all the way to Mitchel Laithes WWTW Dewsbury.

In 'ere looking upstream

Found this little mother along the way just bringing another small stream in

'Fountain of youth' was expecting a little more here as this is meters away from some sort of wet well/pumping station according to google earth. Probably not connected looking at this tho

Nearing the treatment works found this ancient bridge, doesnt seem to lead to or from anywhere tho

Nearer the works and round the corner tho' I can now ...........................'smell the magic'.....................and a loud roar of water coming from a little pipe'ole.
Had a quick sniff and a peek. It's a 3 footer RCP about 10M long. Shone the photons up it and it looks like its capped at the end with almost no flow eminating from it. Walked away at first only to find it is directly under a massive concrete box at the works above which wasn't accessible due to the palisade fencing. Redoubled my efforts and it's 'hands and knees' down the stinker to find there is a small opening at the end into the big concrete box

End of the pipe and through the gap and looking upwards

Turns out its a steel box within a concrete box with an incoming flow which disappears into the ground. Presume this flow will be held in a well until pumped up to the new line along the cycle path.
Apologies for the poor shot here as I was precariously perched between the two tanks, holding on with one hand and trying to do the shot with the other hand. Got a digit in the way !!!!!!!

Then it's back down this gap into the 3 footer for the crawl out ..............and a wash !!!!!!!!!!

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Good work on getting down that 3 foot pipe, I hate that kind of thing at my age but sometimes it is the only way to get the job done.
Please carry on this malarkey and you will find it addictive and yearn for bigger and poopier pipes! :thumb

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good work on getting down that 3 foot pipe, I hate that kind of thing at my age but sometimes it is the only way to get the job done.
Please carry on this malarkey and you will find it addictive and yearn for bigger and poopier pipes! :thumb

Hi @TheVicar
Thanks for taking the time to comment
TBH I thought it was easier doing the 3footer that the 4footer in Transporter Drain t'other day. For me hands and knees is easy but stood and stooping low is hard work.
Anyhow, I went back the day after to have a further look around the corner as according to OS maps there was a real big feature at the side of the works (but doesn't show on google earth oddly enough)
Turns out Big CSO, spraycreted channel to brick egg and outfall to river

Nearly blew my stack and had a 'schizoid embolism' when I caught sight of that brick egg
The thing that puzzles me is why doesnt that stepped outfall drain straight to river there and then???
Why does it spill to a concrete channel for 100m then into brick egg for 100m and then into river ???? and all this runs along side the river