real time web analytics
Report - - Spinkhill rail tunnel - Sheffield. June 2010 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Spinkhill rail tunnel - Sheffield. June 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

aem

Perilously hopeless....
28DL Full Member
After buying some new kit for a pending visit to the Megatron, I was all dressed up with nowhere to go. As a result I found myself revisiting an old friend. Armed with my camera phone once again (sorry, must buy a new camera) I set off for a wander through the disused rail tunnel at Spinkhill.

The Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast Railway extension from Clowne to Killamarsh was opened at the end of the 19th Century. It later came under the ownership of the Great Central railway in 1907. At Spinkhill, a route was cut below Park Hall, the tunnel being 450m long.

Neither of the entrances are bricked-up, an effort has been made to keep people out in the way of a 20m long dugout which is permanently water filled (and unfortunately deeper than my wellies are long, I was sorry to say :( ) at the northern end. The southern opening is now home to a large pile of rotting potatoes and seeds courtesy of the local farmer.

I parked up in a nearby industrial estate and wandered over, past the old station. The station is in great condition and being lived in - I got some somewhat bemused looks from the owners as I went trudging past the bottom of their garden.

Northern Entrance
Photo0079.jpg

Northern facade starting to come away
Photo0094-1.jpg

Photo0099-1.jpg

Photo0092.jpg

Southern Entrance, potatoes and all - Notice the wall thickness of only four bricks this end as opposed to eight at the other end
Photo0083-1.jpg

On top of the Northern end
Photo0095.jpg

This bridge just after the station forms one of the three 'Spinkhill bumps' on the road it carries.
Photo0076.jpg

The station
Photo0101.jpg

Random lamp post in the middle of the woods
Photo0102.jpg