real time web analytics
Report - - Spring Quarry Parts 6 to 8 - Canteens, Stores and the 4 Generators of the Apocalypse | Noteworthy Reports | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Spring Quarry Parts 6 to 8 - Canteens, Stores and the 4 Generators of the Apocalypse

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
The final installment... for now!

Part 6 – The Canteen

As I write this it’s been about a week since I was last down there and ive managed to calm down a little and get back to a somewhat sensible life and sleeping pattern. If I was more reckless I would have like to have spent the whole of last week down there but I think it would be rather foolish as by our last 3 trips they were very much onto our game! Not to worry however, im sure I will be down there again one day. If not one day soon. For now let’s look another major part of the bunker, The Canteen.

The canteen is another area in the clean western section of the bunker that I believe was known as ‘Chanticleer’ It’s very surreal and everything is in great condition. The coffee machines are just amazing, well in fact everything is pretty amazing is just the coffee machines that stand out for me. There was some great light for photos in this part for sure.

IMG_9995mod.jpg

Dining Area

IMG_9999mod.jpg
IMG_0018mod.jpg

IMG_0027mod.jpg

IMG_0020mod.jpg
IMG_0010mod.jpg

IMG_0005mod.jpg

IMG_0024mod.jpg

IMG_0035mod.jpg

IMG_0051mod.jpg

IMG_0053mod.jpg

Tagged onto the canteen area was a small laundry but as you will see in Part 8 this was not the only kitchen and laundry area in the bunker. Im not sure why there was two but im assuming this area was created slightly later after the eastern section fell derelict.

IMG_0064mod.jpg

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Re: Spring Quarry Parts 6 to 8 - Canteens, Stores and the 4 Generators of the Apocaly

Part 7 – Stock up for the end of the world

The stores eluded us at first but after a bit of lateral thinking we managed to find a way inside. The area is big but it would appear most of the stores were cleared out at some point leaving only two rows of shelves and a lot of odds and ends. That said the 2 rows of shelves were long rows and rummaging through what we found on them was one of the highlights of the explore.

Think about it, everything in this area was what they imagined they would need to rebuild the country after a nuclear war, a quite amazing notion especially as they appeared to be just as concerned with waste paper bins and staples as maps and books!

IMG_9880mod600.jpg

IMG_9895mod.jpg

IMG_9886mod.jpg

What no glitto!

IMG_9885mod.jpg

To clean your toilet after the apocalypse.. madness!

IMG_9888mod.jpg

Waste paper bins and blankets, all still in there brown paper. There was also type writers, reel to reel tape recorders, sewing equipment, so much stuff I forget!

IMG_0243mod.jpg

Stationary by the bucket load

IMG_0096mod.jpg

Secret stationary at that!

IMG_0097mod.jpg

1000s of maps, most seemed to be of services like water mains and power lines

IMG_0100mod.jpg

Top secret labels for your top secret stuff

IMG_0101mod.jpg
IMG_0079mod.jpg

Non descript boxes and a ‘Huge Format’ camera!

IMG_9881mod.jpg

IMG_9883mod.jpg

This area had had some beds set up in it, I think it was a mock up however. The actual dormitories were pretty empty.

Last edited:

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Re: Spring Quarry Parts 6 to 8 - Canteens, Stores and the 4 Generators of the Apocaly

Part 8 – The Powerstation and Industrial Burlington

Being a big fan of powerstations topside this part was near the top of my list. However I ended up having to wait until the final trip to get to see it. I thought the generator in the Bristol Factory was big but the ‘Quadruplets’ as they should be known were something else. Simply amazing! I don’t think the pics quite show the scale of the place, it was dark and well abandoned in here and we didn’t have too long for sexy shots but these things were at least 5m tall if not bigger. There were two big boilers too, I believe its all original shadow factory kit rather than 1950s Burlington additions.

IMG_0169mod.jpg

IMG_0170mod.jpg

IMG_0165mod.jpg

IMG_0171mod.jpg

Moving on we found our way into what is marked on our map as the ‘Industrial Laundry’

IMG_0159mod.jpg

IMG_0160mod.jpg

Then on again into the ‘Industrial Bakery’ and kitchens, basically an abandoned version of what we had seen in the Chanticleer

IMG_0175mod.jpg

IMG_0177mod.jpg

IMG_0179mod.jpg
IMG_0174mod.jpg

IMG_0176mod.jpg

One last part we managed to find was at Lamson Tube room. The tubes can be seen running all over the bunker but this room was the central ‘sorting office’ for them all!

IMG_0250mod.jpg
IMG_0246mod.jpg

And that’s pretty much all I have I think. We saw a lot more than what ive been able to photograph, ten times as much time spent exploring rather than recording but that’s the way I like it. We had some edgy moments but some awesome silly fun at the same time. Thanks to Lucy for being Lucy, Harry for his midnight driving skills, Noel and Mark for giving me many a ‘heads up’ about things over the last few months too. There’s still missions to be had down there, I won’t be content until we crack BSA and more importantly I stand on those GWR rails!

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
28DL Full Member

very very nice

Raddog

28DL Full Member

Good times! And great report\pics to go with it!

Lamson central station has got to be one of the best and most unusual rooms in anywhere explored!

Hpipe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Real nice work Speed, all of it.

urbanity

28dl flâneur
28DL Full Member

A brilliant account; the writing and photos have done justice to the utter epicness of the place. The English Heritage Characterisation Study mentioned 28DL as a source of info - but really no web-based source has exposed the secrets of Burlington quite like the Speed/Rooks reports. Thanks for the inspiration; I hope to read the instalments on Tunnel Quarry one day - after all nothing, it seems, is impossible!

turkey

Pure bellend
28DL Full Member

simply lovely.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member

Wheres Burlyvole these days?

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member

I made a comment on one of the ROS Posts threads about White MOD Scouring Powder which is the same as Glitto but not in a 'Trade Pack' but packed with Stock Number.

Well this is what I meant:

IMG_9886mod.jpg

You can also see its made by Lever Brothers!

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member

Part 7 – Stock up for the end of the world

The stores eluded us at first but after a bit of lateral thinking we managed to find a way inside. The area is big but it would appear most of the stores were cleared out at some point leaving only two rows of shelves and a lot of odds and ends. That said the 2 rows of shelves were long rows and rummaging through what we found on them was one of the highlights of the explore.

Think about it, everything in this area was what they imagined they would need to rebuild the country after a nuclear war, a quite amazing notion especially as they appeared to be just as concerned with waste paper bins and staples as maps and books!This area had had some beds set up in it, I think it was a mock up however. The actual dormitories were pretty empty.

I think the stores here are what was needed to work & survive in the bunker only, and not for afterwards!

To my mind most of the thinks we see opened or set out in kithens & dorms etc are all mockups and not any attempt to make this a working bunker! It looks to me to be always a reserve location only!

Also LAC has not been heard of for a while?

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member

I think this can easily be overlooked, judging by the replies, i think people need to have a re-think what this place was actually intended for, not just some shite RoC post. This place is the ultimatum of any bunker in the uk, it dosent get any better if your a bunker whore, or cold war freak, this is it.

spungletrumpet

Super Moderator
Staff member

This place is the ultimatum of any bunker in the uk, it dosent get any better if your a bunker whore, or cold war freak, this is it.

Totally agree.
The scale of the place is staggering, even if you don't include the massive complex it is part of.

Another great report, Speed. :thumb

Dark Prince

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Top marks again Speed. Stunning pics.

There was alot more stuff in the stores, some of it was donated to local charitys and such like. Some of the bed frames ended up at a YMCA or similer. There was only enough stores for 90 days.....that is how long the place was supposed to operate for.

DP

DubbedNavigator

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Seriously good lot of pics there mate