real time web analytics
Report - - Springfield Hospital, London - November 2021 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Springfield Hospital, London - November 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
Visited with @Chloe Explores and Ella.

We saw that a few people had been here and me and Chloe tried it on a weekday but there were builders so we returned on a Sunday.

So pleased we managed to explore here, I’ve been watching this place on and off for years but never knew of it being accessible. many many years ago my nan was a patient here after she suffered her third stroke and became agitated and aggressive toward my grandad, I remember going to visit her here, I can’t remember the ward name but remember the long corridors full of seats of pensioners in varying states of what would now be called dementia.

I lost the girls at one point but was quite happy on my own, there’s something quite relaxing walking long corridors on your own. no one bothered us other than a cat who appeared in a window level with the roof. There’s a lot more to explore here that we didn’t get to see so hopefully we can return.

My photos have been compressed by Facebook unfortunately, the originals are on a HDD somewhere.

History -

Springfield Hospital

1841 - current

The Asylum Act, 1808, encouraged the building of public asylums, but the Counties were slow to respond. By 1827 only nine had been built, with the mentally ill continuing to live in the streets, in workhouses or in private madhouses.

In 1838 the Surrey magistrates finally decided to establish a county asylum for the mentally ill poor. To this end, they purchased Springfield Park for £8,985 from Mr Henry Perkins (1779-1855), a wealthy brewer and partner in the firm of Barclay Perkins, who had decided to move to Dover. The estate, with 97 acres of land, was considered an ideal location for the Asylum because of its nearness to population centres, its southerly aspect and clean air, and a suitable water supply. Springfield Park contained an 18th century mansion house, stables and a coach house, as well as farm buildings. The entrance drive was from Aboyne Road. A well was bored in 1839.

By 1840 construction had been completed. It was the 15th asylum to be built. The buildings had cost £67,467 and their furnishings and initial expenses some £7,515. The Asylum had 350 beds and was built to the 'corridor' plan, a state-of-the-art design (ward wings radiated off a long spinal corridor at right-angles). Patients would be diagnosed, classified and sent to designated wards.

The Asylum was built in the Tudor style, with twisted chimneys similiar to those at Hampton Court Palace (these were later removed, being considered dangerous, and not replaced). The facade was patterned with variegated

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
Nice set. Personal memories always make an explore feel different in a lot of ways.
My other memory of there was a huge cockup when I used to do patient transport many years ago and had to take a bloke there but couldn’t find the ward, some nurse took me into the secure unit while she tried to find out for me. I stood there waiting while some woman stroked my hair until another nurse moved her on.

bit scary lol. I should never have been on my own to start with transferring there. The poor bloke ended up dying in a house fire after his release.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Nice, looks like they're cracking onto the derpy block then - I remember watching C&C mark up rooms like that at Bristol General.

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Good to see they are finally doing something with this now. Will be interesting to see what is made of it.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely done. Seems strange seeing all them marks everywhere. Some of them appartments look like they could be tiny.

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
Nicely done. Seems strange seeing all them marks everywhere. Some of them appartments look like they could be tiny.
They look to be. When you’re stood there looking at the marks in person its mad how small each one will be. Looked barely enough room for a bed and sofa etc. I bet they’ll cost a fortune too.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
They look to be. When you’re stood there looking at the marks in person its mad how small each one will be. Looked barely enough room for a bed and sofa etc. I bet they’ll cost a fortune too.
I did wonder if they seemed smaller in the pics. Seems not then ha ha. Yeah prob a small fortune for one.

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
I did wonder if they seemed smaller in the pics. Seems not then ha ha. Yeah prob a small fortune for one.
We saw what we believe were the old solitary confinement cells in a part undergoing conversion and by the looks of it each cell seemed to be a separate room of an apartment. Was weird. And I hope I was wrong. They were far too small.

Who has read this thread (Total: 555) View details