real time web analytics
Question - - SRT Ascenders | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - SRT Ascenders

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Chaos

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wish I could pal, there seems to be a lot more opportunity oop north.

Chaos

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think I'll stick to buying a petzl stop. Might as well have the correct equipment for the job!

Shocktictacs

Put it in me.
28DL Full Member
I think I'll stick to buying a petzl stop. Might as well have the correct equipment for the job!

There is all sorts of descenders, the stop isnt the only perfect one its all down to preference. As I'm sure you've guessed by now, there is many many ways to SRT. The caving set up is great, perfect for long pitches and very safe. But there is alternatives, like using a grigri, atc, prussics, hell I've even ascended a line with just a hand jammer and my feet. Its all down to the situation really. Its as a method to access things with no ladders from the floor or something like that, 10m pitches ish, in these scenarios I find its easiest to just use my climbing harness, a croll and a hand jammer. Because its quick and easy, no hassle and messing about. Wouldn't want to go much further on climbing harness though, because it doesn't put you in the ideal position. But its all down to what you feel most comfortable with.

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
28DL Full Member
Grigri can no longer be used in industry anymore by the way its against regs so must be a good reason for it.
Dont take my word for it ask the lone ranger.

Shocktictacs

Put it in me.
28DL Full Member
Grigri can no longer be used in industry anymore by the way its against regs so must be a good reason for it.
Dont take my word for it ask the lone ranger.

GriGri does not have a positive lock, panic lock, or error capture device if it is loaded backwards.

Bigjobs

Official Smartarse
Regular User
You aren't supposed to descend on a grigri using the handle, you're supposed to fully open the handle and control the rope with your hand, much like you would a fig 8 or belay device

diehardlove

28DL Full Member
You aren't supposed to descend on a grigri using the handle, you're supposed to fully open the handle and control the rope with your hand, much like you would a fig 8 or belay device

Exactly :)
Now why doesnt everyone stop being gay and use a stop or a fig 8 simples this thread is getting boring :D

diehardlove

28DL Full Member
Stops are vastly overrated imnsho.

Yeah yeah yeah yeah thats why most clubs use them,
Mayby for more advanced defo not for less advanced its just safer.:D

You stick to your chain link il stick to my stop lol.

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details