real time web analytics
Question - - SRT Ascenders | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - SRT Ascenders

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Chaos

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
For those of you who climb and specifically use SRT, I'm looking for some advice on getting set up for SRT but can't find anything definitive on the net.

I already climb sport and trad so have a sit in harness, 60m dynamic rope and various other bits and pieces. What extra things will I need for SRT? Obviously I'll need to make up a foot loop which presumably attaches to a hand operated ascender. Do I need a chest harness and chest ascender as well?

I guess in a roundabout way I'm asking what the basic setup should be like and what equipment I need to buy in addition to what I already have. If anyones got any good links, it would be much appreciated.

Chaos

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers mate. I didn't find the first link but already looked at the second. It seems quite a few of the pics in rooks' post are dead links now.

morse

The Green Giraffe
28DL Full Member
i started with a shunt, a gri gri and two slings, all of which i already had from climbing. could go even more basic by using two prussik knots.
guess it all depends on how quick you wanna be able to move and how much money you can spend

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
http://www.rucavers.co.uk/wp-content/resources/srt-guide.pdf

Thats useful

Dont fanny about with a home brewed concoction of stuff, its just not worth it. Not worth it if you wish to do SRT in anger anyway. By all means have a practice with different kit if its safe but for anything real world whether it be caving or UE make sure you get the kit thats made for the job.

- Static rope
- Petzl Stop to go down (especially in tight or unknown spaces)
- Petzl Croll and either a Basic or a hand ascender to go up Getting a chest harness that fits tightly and stops the croll from flapping around is extra important imo.

Chaos

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers guys. I've climbed using prusik loops before but would only use these in an emergency. I want something that's going to be quicker and easier and font mind spending the money on the right gear.

Thanks for the link and advice speed, just what I was looking for and the diagrams and info in that PDF make it all clear.

I notice that they're using a caving harness in the diagram, I presume that my normal climbing harness can be adapted just fine with the addition of a chest harness to keep the croll from flapping about?

Mrbodymassagemachine

MBMM for short
28DL Full Member
<tip4> is a pretty good system, without need for chest harness. You can switch from going up to down the rope and vica versa whilst abseiling/ascending pretty easily. And it is pretty damn quick when you find a good set up for you.

spungletrumpet

Super Moderator
Staff member
I notice that they're using a caving harness in the diagram, I presume that my normal climbing harness can be adapted just fine with the addition of a chest harness to keep the croll from flapping about?

You will probably find that your climbing harness holds you in a reclining position. That is an absolute ballache on long pitches.

Chaos

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You will probably find that your climbing harness holds you in a reclining position. That is an absolute ballache on long pitches.

It certainly does. Maybe I should invest in a separate harness for SRT climbing.

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
28DL Full Member
As spungle said fuck climbing harnesses they are a bitch a nice caving one is lovely the center of gravity is lower so its easier to go up the old petzl red ones where lovely dont know if they still make them.

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
28DL Full Member

Yes and no

You will get so much more knackered using a normal harness a caving harness keeps the croll nice and low so when your frogging it you dont get to knacked try both then see what i mean you will never use a climbing harness again for caving on a long pitch its a bitch ;)

Mrbodymassagemachine

MBMM for short
28DL Full Member
What sort of height you doing? If less than 100ft, grigri and ascender without chest is quick if you need rapid exits. Never had problem with my climbing harness with possition. It should only last 5 mins tops anyway at around 100ft. Lower heights are quick enough to make no difference.

Chest harness may be good for stuff over 100ft/longer than 5 mins. Chest is defiantly good if you have to squeeze through a small hole at the top of an ascension ;)

Chaos

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm not sure what sort of heights I'll be doing yet. It's just something I've decided that I want to learn and get kitted up for to expand my UE limits. I think the more things we can learn like this to aid us, the greater possibilities there are for explores.

Looks like I'll be investing in a separate harness and rope for srt then. I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be with a climbing harness and dynamic rope!!

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details