Web
Analytics
SRT / Ascending / Descending | Urban Community Portal | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

SRT / Ascending / Descending

G

General Tosser

All your opinions are simply just that - opinions. All of your issues and faults with SRT just strike me as those of somebody who doesn't know much about it. You may not like my attitude but my experience is what matters here.
As your opinions are just the same, opinion.
I'm not going to go into great arguments with you, it just doesn't matter enough to me to raise my blood pressure.
The only thng I will say is that by your arguments, accidents never happen because you have never seen anyone make an error or a piece of equipment fail (the error being far more likely)

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Bloody cow's tails... some ball of dirty knotted rope that root showed us the other day...

...now lighten up guys and let this be a learning experience !

G

General Tosser

I've seen mistakes by user error, plenty. Nothing that the correct use of their cows tails didn't save, though.

Yes, built in redundancy with cows tails does make things a lot safer.
There will always be a muppet element which is where the biggest danger lies, I've seen somebody at a pitch head with loose knots of their cowstails. I've seen more than one person rig their stop upside down, fortunately the loose cowstails and upside down stop were seperate incedents.
I also know of cases wth stops coming to pieces (IIRC there was an advisory notice issued by Petzl on it)
I was underground with somebody a fortnight ago who commentd that his Stop just wouldn't "stop" on a 200 foot pitch with several deviations and he damned near had brown trousers at the bottom. A highly copetent SRTer he is too.

Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
Bloody cow's tails... some ball of dirty knotted rope that root showed us the other day...
Ball of dirty knotted rope that could save your life. Only weirdos use some poncy Petzl thing :gay

Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
Pffft, wait until Saturday when all the cool kids at the climbing centre laugh at all your shiny noob kit and you'll be begging me to borrow my cool muddy rope:p;)

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Pffft, wait until Saturday when all the cool kids at the climbing centre laugh at all your shiny noob kit and you'll be begging me to borrow my cool muddy rope:p;)
All the cool kids? The long haired freaks you mean? (No offence Scott)

Trust me, unless I've actually bought the wrong kit, I'll be quite happy with it being shiny and noobish.

R

root

My cows tails are tied with a special knot which grips the krab :| They are dirty cuz I do this for real :cool:

Your goal is Hunters Hole! Its a novice training pants SRT cave in mendip, its not wet, the walls are bit drippy. Nothing to see at the bottom but it is right next door to the pub :D

"All the cool kids?" Long haird children freaks who were trying to be all hardcore climbers, on a warm/dry and bright supervised climbing wall.

R

root

OK Something a bit serious, boring and meaty now... Its just been passed to me.
http://www.british-caving.org.uk/rope/lanyard_tests_v6.pdf

Yes very clever people take time to figure out the best cowstails to use. Scroll down to the summery. To save you the trouble;

The best was dynamic rope, tied, not sewn, Figure of Eight Knot Knot(attachment point) – Barrel Knot(krab end). The worst was the all tape cows tail (The one OT has just brought lol).

From the point of view of shock absorption, Cow's Tails made from dynamic rope and knots at both ends achieve the best results.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Bollocks, I'll put money on it that it will be OK. Remember, if I fall, it will be a solitary event, not a side-by-side comparison to destruction.

Vivo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A little bit of a question...how much difference is the between dynamic and static cowstails? Surely the fact it is so short limits the effect of the elastisity. How much worse off will you be using static ones?

R

root

Well you would be CRAZY to use static rope for cowstails.... Reading the document and comparing static rope to the tape you would get just under double of the force as compared to dynamic rope. Basicly - Your cowstails should be dynamic rope with tied knots, all this together minimizes the shock loading if you take a fall. I know someone who fell of the ledge of Hunters Hole so it happens.

Vivo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
OK Something a bit serious, boring and meaty now... Its just been passed to me.
http://www.british-caving.org.uk/rope/lanyard_tests_v6.pdf

Yes very clever people take time to figure out the best cowstails to use. Scroll down to the summery. To save you the trouble;

The best was dynamic rope, tied, not sewn, Figure of Eight Knot Knot(attachment point) – Barrel Knot(krab end). The worst was the all tape cows tail (The one OT has just brought lol).
Interestingly, my cowstails fit the exact criteria suggested as being the best.

Figure of Eight knot at the attachment point, barrel knots at the krab ends, using Beal Verdon II 9 mm. It's quite strange that by pure chance the ones I've got happen to be the safest. :crazy