Web
Analytics
SRT Rigging above a shaft | Urban Community Portal | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

SRT Rigging above a shaft

M

mthorn

Good Morning All,

The hole that I want to get down is surrounded by a concrete and metal structure, because of location and width of hole I cant get a scaffold pole to span the gap.

Is it reasonable to tie rope from one end of the structure to the other and then suspend my dropped rope from the middle of that?

Cheers

M

Shadow

GDMEODC
28DL Full Member
How deep is it? Would it be worth using an electron ladder or similar?

Hayden

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I wouldn't risk it mate. Going down might be ok but its ascending back up where the problems will arise. Depending how your SRT kit is set up, it'll probably put a lot of tension on the rope and weaken its structure. If its too deep a hole, you'll die. If it ain't that deep a hole, use a ladder as suggested above.

M

mthorn

Its reasonably deep, and I havent yet got round to purchasing an electron ladder, though they do seem bloody tempting,

M

M

mthorn

So, i'm guessing the next reasonable question would be, what would the correct way to rig up be in this scenario?

Cheers
M

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
Regular User
is there nothing you can attach to around the structure like trees etc then go down the side rather than the middle and just use a rope protector on the edge of the structure,

M

mthorn

Yeah I'm guessing thats going to be the only option. Im relatively new to SRT and have always gone down the direct center of a hole/ drop rather than being up against the side wall, presumably it makes little difference. Short of having a rope protector I guess a lump of carpet/door mat or something might suffice.

Cheers for the input

M

LittleMike

Do. Find. Drains.
28DL Full Member
Uh oh, this sounds like a recipe for disaster! I'd be surprised if someone who actually had enough rigging experience to set something like this up safely would be asking such a question...

...in any case, this thread is useless without at least a picture of the shaft.

edit: Nick's reply is somewhat more comprehensive lol

M

mthorn

Uh oh, this sounds like a recipe for disaster! I'd be surprised if someone who actually had enough rigging experience to set something like this up safely would be asking such a question...

...in any case, this thread is useless without at least a picture of the shaft.

edit: Nick's reply is somewhat more comprehensive lol
Of course being the OP i'd like to think that the thread is far from useless being as it has answered my question and given me pointers that I can follow and put into practice in a safe enviroment before taking it down the hole!

M