real time web analytics
Report - - SSSI - Manchester, FEB 2010 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - SSSI - Manchester, FEB 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
SSSI - Stinky Skanky Sewage Interceptor (Or Something like...)

The location of which is in one of Manchesters not so affluent areas.

_1011756.jpg
Anyway been wanting to see this for a while and not got round to meeting the others for various reasons, I decided to go it alone and take a look, although a return trip I'm sure will follow.

After a short trip down the brook I managed to find the outfall of SSSI, which is approx 5' in diameter and is a late 19th Century bricked affair, consisting largley of RBP it's in quite good condition in for most parts, but does get worse as you eventually approach the Interceptor at the other end.

After a bit of a mooch; around 500 Yds, on the right is a huge concrete chamber, built with a concrete stage mid-way before the final stretch of ladder leading to the inevitable 'Manhole'.

I did take a few photos of this before heading further down to the 'Interceptor' come Overflow. On the way upto the top of the chamber and like a muppet somehow managed for the tripod to slip out of the rucksack and drop to the bottom of the shaft, causing serious breakage and making further photos somewhat difficult!

It started to get real stinky at this point so I decided to put on the respirator as a precaution, the 'poop' particles aren't pleasant at the best of times.

Anyway after another short mooch, and the roar of the turd stream getting increasingly louder I eventually reached the 'Interceptor' with probably one of the biggest Penstocks around these parts.

After appearing out of the archway into the 'Interceptor' I was greeted by a lovely lake of shite, where it looked like it had recently overflowed so didn't want to hang around too long.

The flow of the sewer was immense, I did consider crossing it but I bottled it as I was on my own and after climbing accross the slippy poop covered wooden barriers and dipping my leg in to the slippy as fook fast flowing turd stream I thought "Bollocks to that". :eek:

Apparently two 'turds' of Manchesters sewage flows through here, all I could think about is if that penstock is lowered I'm outta here. The level had already risen a fair bit whilst I was in there, so I took a few piccy's and fooked off out.

All in all it was worth the trip and good to see one of Mancs many underground sewers....PEACE :D

Infall
_1011803.jpg

_1011806.jpg

Entrance to 'Inspection Chamber'
_1011781.jpg

Inside 'Inspection Chamber'
_1011791.jpg

Looking Down From Concrete Stage
_1011794.jpg

Manhole
_1011799.jpg

Skank
_1011783.jpg

The Sewer 'Interceptor' Approaches, (Tripod Seriously Fubard Now)
_1011771.jpg

Archway To Overflow Chamber
_1011741.jpg

Looking Across - Sewer
_1011736.jpg

Access On The Left To Penstock Controls
_1011737.jpg

Penstock
_1011748.jpg

View attachment 183051

Sewer Oveflow Chamber
_1011746.jpg

_1011758.jpg

Looking Into The Overflow
_1011751.jpg

Backup The Overflow
_1011763.jpg

Way Out
_1011778.jpg

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, I went up there dude, just didn't get tripod up as it was fooked, will go back and take a few with my new one when I get a mo.

There was some serious skank on the penstock controller :eek:

O

Oldskool

im normaly into sewers but this look really interesting if your ever goin back wouldnt mind tagging along but i think i need to buy some wadders .....nice shots

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
The flow of the sewer was immense, I did consider crossing it but I bottled it as I was on my own and after climbing accross the slippy poop covered wooden barriers and dipping my leg in to the slippy as fook fast flowing turd stream I thought "Bollocks to that".

FFS mate NO, NO, NO, never try to wade fast flowing sewage.....:banghead

............Always strip off and swim! :thumb

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
No running, bombing, heavy petting, or gargling in the deep end please!