real time web analytics
Report - - SSSI, Manchester - March 2016 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - SSSI, Manchester - March 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

moako

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Access to this CSO was gained via the brick outfall, which is approximately 5½' in diameter.

4ad468.jpg

735197.jpg

After about 100 metres or so we arrive at a modern concrete installation where the tunnel forks into two branches. The right-hand tunnel is the original outfall which is now a bypass leading to part of an overflow chamber on the other side of this new screening installation.

1056538.jpg

A few metres into the left-hand tunnel we come to a concrete chamber with a grilled ceiling.

192d516.jpg

Some ladders take us through the grilled ceiling to the level above, an area containing screening control apparatus.

22077ea.jpg

This area houses controls for two penstocks below, the point at which overflow enters the screening system.

258eae1.jpg

Beyond this is an overflow chamber where any excess flow can spill over the wall on the right-hand side and exit via the bypass tunnel.

2831c2e.jpg

The original brick outfall then continues for about another 100 metres or so, leading to the main overflow chamber.

31872c0.jpg

This is a large, impressive arched brick structure containing a huge penstock with a stone counter-balance weight.

34a2d7e.jpg

3894f83.jpg

Iron steps give access to a level above and to a door on the other side of the Work 5 interceptor sewer.

49b5c22.jpg

40f5132.jpg

5890964.jpg

Two sewers connect here, the one on the right-hand side I believe to be the Work 6 interceptor.

61bed25.jpg

46476f8.jpg

The outfall culvert leading to the river Irk.

677c7ef.jpg

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Good stuff, although it's proper filthy upstream it's a decent sized brick CSO and makes for some good photo's

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
Very nice, thanks for sharing.
On my visit list, but concentrating on Liverpool for the forseable.

Stopford_lad

foul-mouthed oaf
28DL Full Member
Nicely done, although the new sections looking particularly skanky already it was as clean as a whistle last time I paid a visit.