real time web analytics
Report - - St Aidan's Church, Galashiels - June 2018 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Aidan's Church, Galashiels - June 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Another one from the road trip with prettyvacant71! This was day one of the trip. We'd been to Dulux in Slough the evening before, driven through the night and this was our second church of the day. I was so fucking tired by this point I wanted to die. Totally perked up the moment we walked inside though, this was a lot nicer than I was expecting. I figured I'd post a few pics up as they announced today that plans to demolish it were approved.

History:

The church was built by the Edinburgh firm of Thornton Shiells and Thomson, a large domestic practice, as the South United Presbyterian Church at a cost of £5000. The designs were exhibited twice at the Royal Academy (1880 and 1885). St Aidans is thought to have been designed by Robert Thornton Shiells (1833-1902), primarily a church architect, who trained under David Bryce. Shiells is known to have designed a good number of churches for the United Presbyterian Church, of which St. Aidans is seen as a fine example.

The church was consecrated in August 1880 and has remained in ecclesiastical use since then. It was renamed St Aidan's in 1981.

The later halls were requisitioned by the military for use as a canteen during the war.

LtzA1I3h.jpg

WWM4ABxh.jpg

vcnt1DQh.jpg

gOYVsNdh.jpg

T4quDrmh.jpg

NO0kXrDh.jpg

OUjKKnCh.jpg

LHvpAHih.jpg

iIQDAlrh.jpg

c5di9Lih.jpg

jxHbaNQh.jpg

mrV4WfAh.jpg

zS3Uzm6h.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I'm fairly close behind but don't think I'll crack 100 this year sadly. You get out an insane amount haha.
I got my new car in November, between driving to work and exploring I’ve racked up over 60k miles. If all my fails were successes I’d be sitting closer to 130 or so now haha! Always have time for exploring, it’s just work and sleep that get in the way! ; )