Web
Analytics
Report - - St Augustine’s Hospital, Chartham, Jan and Feb 2011 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Augustine’s Hospital, Chartham, Jan and Feb 2011



Weeble

Having a blonde moment
28DL Full Member
#1
Visited with Catullus on 2 occasions. On our first visit (in January) we explored Oak House, and on our second visit (in February) we explored Beech House, Juniper House and Redwood House.

Some history:

Chartham asylum has also been known as Kent County Lunatic Asylum, Kent County Mental Hospital and St Augustine’s Hospital (from 1948).

The site on Chartham Downs near Canterbury was described by the Commissioners in Lunacy as being in 'so bleak and elevated a position, exposed on all sides'. The site was approved by the Commissioners only after intervention by the Secretary of State.
The first asylum buildings were designed by John Giles and Gough and built between 1872 and 1875. On 5th April 1875, the first patients (East Kent patients housed at Barming Heath) arrived at the Kent County Lunatic Asylum, Chartham Downs.

The hospital closed in 1993 and redevelopment of the site was started in 1997.
The site of the main hospital buildings has been converted into a housing estate. The water tower forms part of a newly-built block of flats. The admin building and chapel also remain and have been turned into housing.

There are 4 buildings left that are slightly away from the main site and are lying derelict: Oak House (built in 1939 as specialist spinal wards), Beech House (a school, built in 1972), Juniper House and Redwood House.

Photos…..


c9b44eeb.jpg


454e59f2.jpg


ae6c4e7f.jpg


8fa45332.jpg


4e11820a.jpg


66208636.jpg


f6d6960b.jpg


37d4f8c9.jpg


1251cd4a.jpg


ed5357d4.jpg


ed59f16c.jpg


267338b7.jpg


b332299a.jpg


2e4d5cd4.jpg


056cee72.jpg
 

Attachments