real time web analytics
Report - - st augustine's asylum chartham and surrounding area 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - st augustine's asylum chartham and surrounding area 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Morgan Emerson

28DL Member
28DL Member
Firstly I know a lot of people go to this location but me and my friends have just taken up urban exploring and we really are getting a rush of adrenaline when we do go to locations and explore a past that we could have never experienced our self. Also sorry for grammar or spelling mistakes English was never my forte. Anyway like I said the asylum has been posted many times on 28 days later but I believe that you can always capture something new with every image you take and I think we managed to prove so in some of the images we took. The asylum it's self was pretty run down with cans and rubbish scatted about and rooms torn apart. However I do believe it actually made it a bit more creepy having the constant thought that a chav might pop out at any time was quite nerve racking. The images below are by myself and a very talented photographer named Jack Wright who is on the same photography course as myself. the ones of me are the ones that Mr Wright had taken and I do believe they made my earlier point valid about capturing something different. Alongside the images of the asylum there is also two images of the buildings next to the asylum which hosted a rather large gym in which we had a small game of football in. Anyway the asylum can be a bit creepy and is rather dark even in daylight so do bring a torch and there are many holes in the floor so mind your step, but other then that it is a fascinating building which gives you a sense of adrenaline when wondering about especially when you feel the temperature drop.

asylum3ef788.jpg

asyllum4a779a.jpg

asyllum2842d0.jpg

asyllum1ea7de.jpg

dankddd06.jpg

dank4f23ec.jpg

dank207103.jpg

Last edited:

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Not a bad first report. The whole complex (all 4 buildings) is actually part of the St Augustine's asylum site and not a separate location. (so there was no need to title it, "and surrounding area").

Morgan Emerson

28DL Member
28DL Member
Thank you for letting me know, I had no idea because there was a short distance between the asylum and the other buildings. Cheers for clearing that up

Last edited:

blx_j

28DL Member
28DL Member
nice lad, was a good day just need to have more of a chance to stop and think about a few shots.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Well to be honest mate the actual asylum has long gone what remains is the school buildings ,beach house was the main school then redwood and juniper where for day students and the boarding students i think ,and the gym and some form of hospital wards which i think was part of the main hospital and separate form the school..but everyone knows it as st Augustines asylum..well the remains of!
it's not a bad mooch around and you got some different shots

Sophiiyy

28DL Member
28DL Member
Unfortunately my trip up there 2 weeks ago we ended up bumping into said chavs and they were really weird kept trying to split our group up and trying to talk about their friend being possessed in the school hall building!! On top of thatsome kids, probably, had left what looked like blood in some rooms and just an utterly weird night!!! I'd advice a daytime trip haha

burnt toast

28DL Member
28DL Member
My ex used to work at the hospital. It was never known as St Augustine's Asylum. Before 1948 when it was taken over by the NHS and named St Augustine's Hospital, it was called Kent County Mental Hospital. The Kent County Asylum name it had orignally was dropped in 1920. Some of the original buildings still stand. Half way up what was the drive is the old nurses' home and further up, the main entrance with clock tower. They said they were keeping the chapel but I don't know if it still exists in what's left of the main building. A shame there isn't much left for exploration.

simple_turtle

28DL Member
28DL Member
I went yesterday evening by myself around 7pm. There was no people about. It is still very eerie to walk around, i didnt have a torch so found it difficult exploring the darker parts of the building. I managed to get some really decent pictures. I would be up for going again next week. If anyone wants to join me heading into this place let me know. I plan on taking a flare to capture some really nice photos.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
I went yesterday evening by myself around 7pm. There was no people about. It is still very eerie to walk around, i didnt have a torch so found it difficult exploring the darker parts of the building. I managed to get some really decent pictures. I would be up for going again next week. If anyone wants to join me heading into this place let me know. I plan on taking a flare to capture some really nice photos.
A flare..o_O

cerbyw5

28DL Member
28DL Member
Its now got 24hr security guard, I was up there today putting up bat boxes in the trees. Buildings are set to be demolished in May.