real time web analytics
Report - - St Barts. Faversham. Kent. April 17 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Barts. Faversham. Kent. April 17

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
As I didn't go out this week, here is a report from a few months ago.

St. Bartholomews church.

Not my usual derp, but I like a nice bit of architecture.
A tiny gem, hidden in the country side of Faversham. This tiny church is abandoned but locals seem to clean it and attend to the grounds.
I didn't expect to find it open all night, but it is. This was a last minute hunch, after being at another location for the evening. I had this lead, so thought id check it out at 1am.

History
Designated a heritage site in 1967. So I am assuming that is when it became redundant
The church was built c1100 and has flint walls and the remains of a rood stair case inside. This staircase sadly is so decayed only around 5 steps remain. Also inside is a French imported miniture font from 19th century. Along with two 16th century brass inscriptions, which I missed. A medieval piscinae is inserted into one of the walls. A tomb is also in a recess on the north wall.
In 1876 the church was restored costing £400, the same today would be around £30.000
The graves are so close to the entrance of this church, it must of been well used.

Explore
The grass had been cut recently, so I definitely didn't expect the church to be open given it was 1 am. The church had an outer metal gate, and archway with wooden door behind. Just walk in. And enjoy the beauty of this place. It was peaceful. Only sound was horses in a nearby field.

External

IMG_4182.jpg

IMG_4190.jpg

View attachment 740621

IMG_4223.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

IMG_4218.jpg

Internal

IMG_4205.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

IMG_4264.jpg

IMG_4307.jpg

IMG_4196.jpg

IMG_4212.jpg

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4146.jpg

IMG_4149.jpg

IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4198.jpg

IMG_4200.jpg

IMG_4245.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

The side wall of the rood stair case & few steps that are left, up to roof.

IMG_4216.jpg

IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_4153.jpg

A shameless pinched sketch of how it use to look in Norman times

favabbey_1.jpg