Web
Analytics
Report - - St. Benedict's Fort, Krakow, Poland - November 2009 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. Benedict's Fort, Krakow, Poland - November 2009



Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
#1
St. Benedict's Fort was started in 1853, and completed in 1856 by the Austrians as one of the first parts of the city defences. It remains one of the few surviving fortifications in the region, and is currently sitting unused.

The fort was used in the 1990's as an art exhibition space, with some of the pieces still installed in permanent situ on the walls. It has more recently housed renovation works and is awaiting it's next use.

4134313139_3657f7c524_o.jpg


The high rounded brick ceilings and walkways are awe-some, and the blatent patch up work with no tacky cover ups adds to the character.

4135075746_7b929f41f3_o.jpg


The inside of what was the main entrance. Now sealed.

4135075844_52f60a3395_o.jpg


Some of the previous tenants are still wandering around in a couple of the rooms.

4135075928_17b59cf0d0_o.jpg


Itza nice staircase.

4134313567_d626346a4d_o.jpg


4135076166_11403a78bb_o.jpg


In the centre of the building was this round courtyard which ran all the way up to the roof, which looked to have once covered it. Only parts remain.

4134313777_b38be0090a_o.jpg


4134313897_29d559fde3_o.jpg


4135076494_0abb2dbac4_o.jpg


4135076622_90cda8c965_o.jpg


4135076736_33edb3cbab_o.jpg
 

Attachments