real time web analytics
Report - - St Cadoc's Hospital, Caerleon - December 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Cadoc's Hospital, Caerleon - December 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited with Humpa

Saint Cadoc's Hospital (Welsh: Ysbyty Sant Cadog) is located in Caerleon on the northern outskirts of the city of Newport.

The building was designed by Alfred J. Wood FRIBA, London and named after Saint Cadoc. Saint Cadoc's church is located in the town.

The hospital, which opened in 1906 as the Newport Borough Asylum, was built to accommodate up to 350 patients. Extensive outbuildings were later added on the site, but since 2005 the number of residents has been very small with the growing emphasis on care in the community.

St Cadoc's Hospital in Caerleon has been featured as a location of episodes in the BBC television programmes Doctor Who, Torchwood, and Being Human.

I'd never really come across this one and only heard about it thanks to a message from Tumbles whilst in South Wales recently, big thanks for the heads up and the pointers! Certainly an interesting explore with parts of the building still being in use, sadly didn't get any photos in the hall as some people were playing badminton in there when we visited. As the rest of the place shuts I hope people will have a look around some of the rest, it's nice and old looking for the most part.

_DSC0216.jpg

_DSC0217.jpg

_DSC0220.jpg

_DSC0222.jpg

_DSC0223.jpg

_DSC0226.jpg

_DSC0227.jpg

_DSC0229.jpg

_DSC0230.jpg

_DSC0232.jpg

_DSC0233.jpg

_DSC0234.jpg

_DSC0235.jpg

_DSC0236.jpg

_DSC0237.jpg

_DSC0238.jpg

_DSC0240.jpg

_DSC0243.jpg

_DSC0244.jpg

_DSC0245.jpg

_DSC0248.jpg

_DSC0250.jpg

_DSC0252.jpg

_DSC0253.jpg

_DSC0255.jpg

_DSC0256.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

The_Raw

Staff member
That's rather nice mate, seen a few snaps from here pop up recently and wondered where it was.

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Very nice. Some real good shots. Hope to see more from this place it looks big.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks great, wish i new about his place a few months ago when i was in the area..Oh well back in car for another long drive...

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Very nice. Some real good shots. Hope to see more from this place it looks big.

It's actually quite a tiny asylum.. but yeah inside its as good as you'll get english asylum wise for at least last 6-7 years

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Does anyone know what this place is like now?

I believe it's still rather well sealed. The maintenance/groundskeeper person had actually been quite nice and accomodating to explorers up until the point idiots were wandering through the live admin block snapping photos and posting them online as a 'derelict' part of the building - following that all the internal doors in the abandoned parts were screwed shut :banghead

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Everything was screwed shut when we tried I know that!

Yeah I think they went to town here, or so from what I've seen from popping by here and there. A few years back we literally waltzed out of the front door through admin - you couldn't make it up!