real time web analytics
Report - - St Cadoc's Hospital (Newport Borough Asylum) - December 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Cadoc's Hospital (Newport Borough Asylum) - December 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

layz

Conquistador d'Wolverton
28DL Full Member
Introduction

Hello guys, it’s been nearly four years since I’ve done any UE and so I doubt many remember me. After years of trying, my good friends Cogito and Gigi finally convinced me to blow the dust of my old s’plorin attire, pick up some Soreen and hit the road on another adventure.

I so very glad that they did.

I have a confession to make: I really miss West Park. I know that many will laugh at that, but in my humble opinion it was one of the greatest and since its timely departure there have been few places I’ve found which fill that gap. St Cadoc’s will most definitely be a contender when it finally closes and if you never got a chance to sample the Mighty Park, you’d do worse than starting here.

History

Saint Cadoc's Hospitalis located in Caerleon the northern outskirts of Newport

The building was designed by the architect Alfred J. Wood FRIBA and named after Saint Cadoc's church is located in the town. The hospital, which opened in 1906 as the Newport Borough Asylum, was built to accommodate up to 350 patients and conforms to the ‘Compact Arrow’ asylum layout typical of the Edwardian period. The hospital is modest architecturally, constructed from redbrick with yellow brick banding and sandstone dressing characteristic of the age.

SPOILER ALERT: This report contains forlorn looking corridors, peeling paint and lonely chairs.

000_zpsgh5illo9.jpg

007_zpsqto62bk2.jpg

009_zpsjzlb9qlj.jpg

008_zpsz6dhiz15.jpg

006_zpsxcouuucw.jpg

010_zpshvyci1wn.jpg

004_zpsygrfrnwp.jpg

005_zps3nof0abx.jpg

003_zps1onswodq.jpg

011_zpswhr0x0xj.jpg

002_zpseve6rq8f.jpg

001_zpsoswvlwuw.jpg

12​

Regards,

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is very nice indeed, I can see this one becoming very popular, especially for those who missed good ol' West Park.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Nice shots, it's a nice little explore for sure.

Yep it will all be locked up before you know it with a bit of luck.

I dunno, they've not exactly done anything different in 7 years!

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
I remember that name as it goes,and as for the report it's a lovely looking place that!

crusader

28DL New Member
28DL Full Member
Welcome back- I think I remember your Forest Mills report back when I first started here.

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Think a few might be disappointed - it isn't that big,,

Granted it doesn't even come close to being in the same league as West Park, but if it ever shuts for good it'll be one of the better ones. It's a big old place.

I don't think it will shut though, not at this rate.

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
The old uni building next to this is about to close, deff one to look out for in the near future.