real time web analytics
Report - - St Clement's Hospital, Bow, East London - March 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Clement's Hospital, Bow, East London - March 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

sentinel

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visit

This was a great little explore with The_Raw.

On the first visit some funny random things straight from the start, including being locked in by security, finding some strange torture chair, both being attacked by pigeons plus some others.
Some great laughs were had, and it was good to meet Elliot5200 on the second visit.

On the second visit I noticed a couple of Squibb Demolition cabins had been placed onsite so looks like works may be starting shortly.

History

The building opened in 1849 as the City of London Union Workhouse. In 1874 it was converted into an infirmary for the same Union. Mental patients came here for examination and assessment before being sent to other institutions or being discharged. In 1902 it had 511 beds. When the Homerton Workhouse reopened in 1909, the infirmary became superfluous and was closed. However, it reopened in 1912 as the City of London Institution to treat the chronically ill. It was later renamed the Bow Institution.

The LCC took over administration in 1930, when all the Boards of Guardians were abolished. In 1933 the number of beds in the Institution was increased to 786 and a mental observation unit established. In 1935 fire destroyed the west wing and the main building. In 1936 the Institution was renamed St Clement's Hospital.

During WW2, when it had 397 beds, the hospital was badly damaged by bombs in 1944. In 1948 it joined the NHS and the bomb damage was repaired. By 1959 the Hospital had become exclusively psychiatric. It became part of the London Hospital Group in 1968 and was then called the London Hospital (St Clement's). In 1974, after another NHS upheaval, it became part of the Tower Hamlets Health District, when it had 146 beds. By 1979 it had 135 beds. In 2003 the East London and The City Mental Health NHS Trust decided to sell the site for redevelopment. The Hospital closed in 2005, with clinical services moving to a new purpose-built adult mental health facility at Mile End Hospital.

DSC_0143_zps94830826.jpg

DSC_0007_zps40bab02f.jpg

DSC_0047_zpsc1c89a27.jpg

DSC_0097_zpsbcfcbc4b.jpg

DSC_0074_zpsc44b58f8.jpg

DSC_0106_zpsda3fd92c.jpg

DSC_0017_zps5408847d.jpg

DSC_0023_zps5bb1a2ac.jpg

DSC_0172_zps319e544f.jpg

DSC_0049_zps74d519a5.jpg

DSC_0126_zps69d304d5.jpg

farewell_zpsdf6551df.jpg

Last edited:

elliot5200

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice one dude, it's great finding a place like this in the middle of London.
I'll never look at that torture chair the same way again after that shot though :P

Gabe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one dude, it's great finding a place like this in the middle of London.
I'll never look at that torture chair the same way again after that shot though :P

I had been telling you about this place for over a year so glad you finally got in.

Nice pics too. Cant beleive this has stayed relativly under the radar compared to some other hospitals.

sentinel

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah its a great place really. Shame its on the demo list. Shouldnt be to long and it will be a live site

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Cant beleive this has stayed relativly under the radar compared to some other hospitals.

It's always been like that, I think the likes of Zero did it back in 2005/6 and it's never been that popular. Guess there was lots more interesting stuff previously and less so now!

Gabe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I dont get it tumbles, i think this was probably the best hospital i ever did. Severalls was cool n all that but i think i thought it was cool because i did it when i first started and was a big site, think if i went back to severalls now i wouldn't even get my camera out.

But a place like st clements with the odd bit of equipment laying about, i probably would use my camera. I just think this place was massively overlooked when compared to all the other hospitals in and around london.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
I dont get it tumbles, i think this was probably the best hospital i ever did. Severalls was cool n all that but i think i thought it was cool because i did it when i first started and was a big site, think if i went back to severalls now i wouldn't even get my camera out.

But a place like st clements with the odd bit of equipment laying about, i probably would use my camera. I just think this place was massively overlooked when compared to all the other hospitals in and around london.

It's just one of those things. I still don't get why people do absolutely rotten stuff like Rauceby (basically a shell of a building) over Mid Wales (a complete asylum with all its original buildings left) but usually it's more to do with the ease of getting to a place or in a place. I much prefer a building with stuff too, but then the likes of Cane Hill made every other asylum seem pretty shite when it comes to that!

sentinel

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Missed the boat when it came to Cane Hill...Id rather have the fun of a hard place to get into and be rewarded with equipment and the likes upon entry

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice one, not actually come across this before. Might have to have a look next time I'm around.