real time web analytics
Report - - St Clements Hospital, Mile End. October 2010. | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Clements Hospital, Mile End. October 2010.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

rufuslives

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My first report.....and I've only had the photos sitting about for 2 years!! (re-posted after photobucket issues!)

HISTORY:

St Clement's Hospital
2a Bow Road, Mile End, E3 4LL
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1874 - 2005

Acute and mental.
Later, psychogeriatric, mental, drug addiction
The building opened in 1849 as the City of London Union Workhouse. In 1874 it was converted into an infirmary for the same Union. Mental patients came here for examination and assessment before being sent to other institutions or being discharged. In 1902 it had 511 beds.

When the Homerton Workhouse reopened in 1909, the infirmary became superfluous and was closed. However, it reopened in 1912 as the City of London Institution to treat the chronically ill. It was later renamed the Bow Institution.

The LCC took over administration in 1930, when all the Boards of Guardians were abolished. In 1933 the number of beds in the Institution was increased to 786 and a mental observation unit established. In 1935 fire destroyed the west wing and the main building. In 1936 the Institution was renamed St Clement's Hospital.

During WW2, when it had 397 beds, the Hospital was badly damaged by bombs in 1944.

In 1948 it joined the NHS and the bomb damage was repaired. By 1959 the Hospital had become exclusively psychiatric.

It became part of the London Hospital Group in 1968 and was then called the London Hospital (St Clement's). In 1974, after another NHS upheaval, it became part of the Tower Hamlets Health District, when it had 146 beds. By 1979 it had 135 beds.

In 2003 the East London and The City Mental Health NHS Trust decided to sell the site for redevelopment.

The Hospital closed in 2005, with clinical services moving to a new purpose-built adult mental health facility at Mile End Hospital.

Present status (June 2010)

The Hospital buildings are listed and the whole 4.57 acre site is within a conservation area.

The site was sold for £20 million to English Partnerships (which has now become part of the Homes and Community Agency) for redevelopment as housing. Local communities are campaiging for it to become the UK's first Community Land Trust.

(Boris Johnson has recently given permission for the development I hear!)

EXPLORE:

I had full permission for the visit, which helps, but still got some great pics. The site (was then) very well preserved...courtesy of the onsite security no doubt. I found my way into parts I shouldnt, and its a great place......there is one place that locked up tight that I would have liked to get into and that was the Psych ward, but no joy!

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

The beds were in the admin block directly behind the old main door to the street....about 30ft from the security office!

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

Psych Ward!

Thanks for Looking!