real time web analytics
Report - - St Crispin's Lunatic Asylum, Northampton - September 2017 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Crispin's Lunatic Asylum, Northampton - September 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

SUS.Exploration

SUS.Exploration
28DL Full Member
St Crispin's Lunatic Asylum
also known as
Berrywood Asylum

September 2017

39267534681_e5302b3988_b.jpg
1 by Shaun Wilson, on Flickr

It started with a friend calling me up asking if I wanted to join him and his girlfriend on an explore they have done countless time's. Knowing I've been wanting to explore for a while and had no experience at that moment in time I think he wanted to start me of easy and I'm glad he chose this location. The drive wasn't too long about an hour and a half, abit of slipknot made the journey that bit more enjoyable. As we pulled up got out the car and climbed a little fence I was blown away with how the building looked. I admired it's beauty from the outside for a few minutes before we entered. While we walked through the corridors my friend explained all the history to me explaining what each room was and how it was used. I was fascinated!. We eventualy made are way to the clock tower and he asked if I wanted to go up. F, YEAH I wanna go up. He made the climb look like a piece of cake, I made it up the ledge where the ladder would have once situated. Their was nothing but a woberly crate supporting the old plank of wood he used to stand on to grab the floor above. The mistake I made prior was wearing skinny jeans I couldn't lift my leg high enough to get that extra height needed so I could make my way to the next floor. After about 20 mins of trying I cut my losses and gave up. We then made are way down another corridor this one more decayed than the last,
We hopped up through another little opening onto the next floor "the hidden floor" as he called it. He explained not many people go up their as they miss the entrance because that climb is the only way up. We spent a good 15 mins up their snapping photos. After a good 5 hours wondering around we made are way back to the car, and drove home.

This site is beautiful and full of history. I highly recommended going.

I'm glad this was my first explore, and I will be going back to conquer that clock tower this time with my gopro so I can keep the experience and the beauty of that place forever.

39238791862_47decdf286_b.jpg
2 by Shaun Wilson, on Flickr

39267534571_a18f7481ef_b.jpg
3 by Shaun Wilson, on Flickr

39238791572_31095255a9_b.jpg
4 by Shaun Wilson, on Flickr

39267534381_48a1e614e3_b.jpg
5 by Shaun Wilson, on Flickr

38391002125_742fa59fa3_b.jpg
8 by Shaun Wilson, on Flickr

39238791462_ff3e312c8d_b.jpg
6 by Shaun Wilson, on Flickr

39267534131_672d021a97_b.jpg
7 by Shaun Wilson, on Flickr

39239070422_1175a2a212_b.jpg
16 by Shaun Wilson, on Flickr

25401069008_7b51a81504_b.jpg
9 by Shaun Wilson, on Flickr

25401069258_7c37f22dd9_b.jpg
10 by Shaun Wilson, on Flickr

25401070378_4b16871262_b.jpg
11 by Shaun Wilson, on Flickr

38391074255_b40b8cd900_b.jpg
14 by Shaun Wilson, on Flickr

39239069102_39ce154a02_b.jpg
13 by Shaun Wilson, on Flickr

38560524494_e24fc4b56c_b.jpg
17 by Shaun Wilson, on Flickr

38391074015_3d43a982e9_b.jpg
12 by Shaun Wilson, on Flickr

I would like to add i did have loads more picture's but i can not find the memory card they are on.

Last edited:

SUS.Exploration

SUS.Exploration
28DL Full Member
Imagine 'Mousetrap' as a vertical game and that is what climbing this clock tower is like. The view from the top is a minter on a clear day.
I've seen videos on YouTube and it does seem tough, I got vertigo the first time I see the video which is funny as I was looking at it through a computer screen . I do need to try and make it up there though before the make it completely understand accessible. Your mousetrap explanation does sum it up perfectly though from what I've seen.

KatieBellax

28DL Member
28DL Member
I've seen videos on YouTube and it does seem tough, I got vertigo the first time I see the video which is funny as I was looking at it through a computer screen . I do need to try and make it up there though before the make it completely understand accessible. Your mousetrap explanation does sum it up perfectly though from what I've seen.
I was there this Saturday just gone and it seems they have now secured the clock tower off for safety reasons. Still a lovely explore though.

britainsdecays

Banned
Banned
Really great photos! We also got a video of the place but a night time, yours are much easer to see. Did you spot the strange noose hanging from the ceiling?

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
My friend managed to do it however I couldn't due to my jeans situation.
It did seem like a hard climb to reach the ladder so I guess it's all down to your climbing experience if it's possible or not. :)

Yeah I climbed to first floor on a christmas day visit, but bottled goin any higher!
Mainly due to the fact I was on my own, but I too had a jeans issue that was not helping lol

SUS.Exploration

SUS.Exploration
28DL Full Member
Yeah I climbed to first floor on a christmas day visit, but bottled goin any higher!
Mainly due to the fact I was on my own, but I too had a jeans issue that was not helping lol

May have a gander in a month or so, by that point no bet the vandals would have ripped the boards down allowing access again. I've learnt from my mistakes and wear joggers now. Bet it was a nice explore around Xmas time. I wanted to go when it was all snowy but I don't drive and didn't wanna bike it from mk in that weather

SUS.Exploration

SUS.Exploration
28DL Full Member
Really great photos! We also got a video of the place but a night time, yours are much easer to see. Did you spot the strange noose hanging from the ceiling?
Thank you, this was my first explore so I was fascinated took over 200 pics. Send link if it's online. Didn't see no noise but I was there before Xmas so maybe it's new. Going back in a month so I'll see if it's their then.

Who has read this thread (Total: 158) View details