real time web analytics
Report - - St Edmunds Hospital/ Northampton/ June 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Edmunds Hospital/ Northampton/ June 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
The Explore
I explored with Session9, Hamtagger, Southside Assassin, Shagrat and Matt Inked. Last time I tried to explore this site I had to abort due to me nearly chopping off my left index finger on the access point. This time however, the homeless had made access far easier. This explore was somewhat of epic proportions, great fun and such a laugh – guys it was really nice to explore with you all. It was a great site, beautiful architecture with typical Northampton finds inside.
Some of the highlights included: Standing on the top floor and watching smack heads climb over the boundaries of the South facing buildings into other parts of the site.
Watching Southside Assassin bravely trying to climb a stair well full of bird shit so thick that it was acting as a slide, getting half way and then thinking “bugger this” before retreating.
Taking cover as somebody in the nearby street starting shouting at the top of their lungs “Get out of that building!!” and then us all realising that it was just another local wino who probably had drank too much methylated spirit
Finding dens hidden all over the site; One still with fresh milk in it.

History
In 1836 St Edmunds was designed by George Gilbert Scott and originally built as Victorian workhouse to house poor. Originally designed to manage 300 inmates and cost £7,000.
In the 1930’s the workhouse closed for good, it was bought by Northampton Borough Council and used as a geriatric hospital for the next 70 years. My partner’s mother worked here as a nurse in the 1980’s. Eventually one by one, the functions were shut down and moved elsewhere. The hospital eventually closed for good in 1998 whilst receiving a grade 2 listed status.
In 2010, a firm called Rochmills bought the site for redevelopment work, hoping to make office blocks and a retirement home for the elderly. After some alterations to the building, including pulling some of it down, the developers realised that its grade 2 listed status prevented from doing what they had originally planned. In the end only a restaurant was built in one building and Tesco in another. The building was then sold to Cyprus based developer and all other work was abandoned.
In 2013 an application was made to English heritage to remove its grade 2 listing. The idea behind this was to knock it down and rebuild on its current site. The application was rejected and St. Edmunds kept its grade 2 status.
In 2014 a planning application was submitted to Northampton Borough Council for further redevelopment. Some of the latest comments around the town regarding the faith in this project are relatively mediocre as the building currently stands empty and rapidly decaying. It is currently home to countless tramps, winos and smack heads. Many rooms all over the site contain make-shift beds in rooms that stink of puke and piss. The floor is extremely unstable, there are literally hundreds of used heroin needles lying on every part of the floor – as a hospital; it seems many previously used needles are being re-used by the smack heads already in there. The site is covered in vast amounts of broken glass – every window is potentially a jagged weapon awaiting an accident, not to mention lift shafts being wide open awaiting a fatal fall.

The Pictures

DSC02937_zpsd03dec46.jpg

DSC02939_zps8ae4731a.jpg

DSC02948_zpsf8ec3769.jpg

DSC02949_zpse77f947c.jpg

DSC02952_zpsb816786f.jpg

DSC02954_zpsadf89abc.jpg

DSC02955_zps2d16e93c.jpg

DSC02959_zps602bc12f.jpg

DSC02969_zps6304b568.jpg

DSC02970_zpsf5cd743e.jpg

DSC02971_zps0938299a.jpg

DSC02974_zps014ce5bd.jpg

DSC02986_zps3568bdb4.jpg

DSC02987_zpsc6aa9eed.jpg

DSC02989_zps07e18588.jpg

DSC02994_zpsdd5f66be.jpg

DSC02996_zps9ffbb57f.jpg

DSC02999_zpsdefe0d5b.jpg

DSC03001_zps2a41a704.jpg

Thanks for viewing my report, I hope you enjoyed.

The Lone Shadow

Last edited:

unplugged

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I remember the Birdshit Slide fondly from previous explores :) good to see it hasn't changed to much in the last year.

I never worked out what caused the massive collapse at the front? almost looks like it got clobbered by a wrecking ball then they went home for the day.

Shagrat

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report mate and good to meet you all - I missed the shower room by the looks of it. . . .

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Thanks guys. It was a wicked explore, its a shame I did not get the excellent selfie that was pulled off. Judging by the enormous hole in the side of the main building, it looks like that was done by a demolition team, only realising moments later that they weren't supposed to do it.

LS

fairyclarey

Never stop exploring :)
28DL Full Member
nice report looks like there is still some to see here as I wrote it off my to do list

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Shepesky>> Observe it over time young jedi and all will become clear. Junkies enter and leave all day long. If they can do it, you certainly will be able to. Hope this helps.

The Lone Shadow

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details