real time web analytics
Report - - St Edmunds Northants March 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Edmunds Northants March 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dogtown

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with The Devil Child.

Getting in was comical. As we arrived plod pulled up right next to us so we just stood there looking at the building, he looked at us and smiled and then disappeared into Tescos so we disappeared through the broken window. :coolio

This building has stood against the elements for more than 170 years - but now nature is reclaiming its place.

Weeds, stems and shoots creep up the Victorian exterior, and have even made their way inside on the highest levels of the crumbling, derelict property.

St Edmund's Hospital is the name by which the building was most recently known, but it was actually constructed as a workhouse for the poor in 1936.

It has stood abandoned for 15 years since the hospital closed after 70 years of service. And, thanks to its place in history as one of the buildings spawned by the 19th-century Poor laws, it has proved difficult to get rid of.

Though a tide of outrage at the suffering of those who laboured inside - fanned by tales like those in Charles Dickens's novel Oliver Twist - closed the workhouses for good, they have a lasting place in history.

But inside the former medical centre is a haunting and dangerous sight. Frequented by the homeless for shelter, its windows are mostly smashed and sharp debris covers the floors.

Little medical equipment remains, except for dust-covered signs and the occasional abandoned bedpan. Elsewhere the crumbling walls, potentially unstable floors and exposed lift shafts make it an uncomfortable site to visit.

St Edmund's was converted into a hospital in the 1930s, and continued for almost 70 years until it was closed down and its functions moved elsewhere.

The land was bought up by developers and other buildings, which are part of the original hospital site, have been demolished and replaced by a Tesco Express store and a restaurant.

Former developers Rochmills had planned to turn the site into retirement homes and office space, but their plans, submitted in 2010, were withdrawn shortly after.

If your life is going nowhere but down and you're thinking of becoming a homeless dirty crackhead then this place could be for you as there are plenty of them living on the 3rd floor. Ask them nicely and they'll supply you with a piss n shit ridden mattress I'm sure.

13356427374_dcdcd1a7ef_b.jpg

13356139165_763160cd5b_b.jpg

13356508674_b4024c7ed4_b.jpg

13356436764_107ba8e215_b.jpg

13356092115_13c7d5125d_b.jpg

13356469074_694d3672c0_b.jpg

13356076055_1041769fb6_b.jpg

13356212393_6f5949e8c7_b.jpg

13356065605_b91723bdd4_b.jpg

13356100875_8f5c80dde2_b.jpg

Cheers. :coolio

Last edited:

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Re: St Edmuns Northants March 2014

I swear, every derelict site in Northampton seems to have multiple unauthorised crack/smack addicts as tenants!
Nice reports by the way, seems as though St.Edmunds has seen better days... Nearly chopped my finger off here on entry in November.
A revisit will be on the cards in the summer - with gloves this time I might add :)

The Lone Shadow

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member

Nice report. Really like the 5th picture. Nice job!

The Guard Dog

Slightly older… still bites
28DL Full Member

I swear, every derelict site in Northampton seems to have multiple unauthorised crack/smack addicts as tenants!
Nice reports by the way, seems as though St.Edmunds has seen better days... Nearly chopped my finger off here on entry in November.
A revisit will be on the cards in the summer - with gloves this time I might add :)

The Lone Shadow

One of the fun parts of why it's brave to hit these places alone.

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details