real time web analytics
Report - - St Edwards Church, Wigan – October 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Edwards Church, Wigan – October 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
St Edwards Catholic church in Newton, Wigan was built in 1964 for £44,000, replacing the previous place of worship which was a converted public house. Built in a brutalist style out of granite with staggered side elevations to a ‘saw-tooth’ plan with large stained glass windows and an adjoining presbytery. The church suffered fire damage to the narthex and gallery areas in 2002 and were rebuilt featuring a new stained glass window with St George’s flag worked into the design.
St Edwards closed in 2017 after a shake-up of Wigan’s churches and is set for demolition with internal stripping already begun.

Having a trip planned to the Wigan area I thought I’d see if the local rag would provide any potential leads and it came up with this, so we stopped by for a peek. On arrival we were immediately met with the sight of a man carrying a can of strongbow wandering out from the back of the church – which was a good sign I guess? It’s quite a large church, pretty stripped, but no idiot damage, stained glass intact and a nicely atmospheric space. Weather was absolutely awful, thick dark clouds and persistent rain… So no nice light through the stained glass unfortunately.

Thanks for looking​

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice modern church. Good coverage & report of it. I like the windows with the iron work on. Driving past this you wouldnt instantly think church, Id maybe think police station lol. Nice report:thumb

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
This is Glorious! I have a thing for exploring old churches, than being some of the early explores that I did. You've really done well to capture the atmosphere, it's fantastic!

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Been watching this for a couple of weeks but with half term and lack of childcare due to lockdown not had chance. Looks like you beat us to it! Looks good though, need to check it out.

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looks like you got in just in time, good job. What a shame it's going to be demolished, brutalist architecture like this is certainly under-appreciated.

I quite like brutalist architecture, but it took a while to start appreciating it to be fair

I have so many memories of this church. And surprised to see it turn up here.

Oh really? Do tell!

Been watching this for a couple of weeks but with half term and lack of childcare due to lockdown not had chance. Looks like you beat us to it! Looks good though, need to check it out.

Thanks! I think there's another one due to be demolished in Ince that we didn't check properly!

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
I quite like brutalist architecture, but it took a while to start appreciating it to be fair

Oh really? Do tell!

Thanks! I think there's another one due to be demolished in Ince that we didn't check properly!
Just been for a quick look at the one in ince. Looks untouched but it was a bit busy to climb the gate and have a proper look at this time tbh.

Little_rachxo

28DL Member
28DL Member
Went here last night, my pictures aren't anywhere near as good as these, no pews or anything left it's all been ripped down. Glad we got there when we did though, probably be gone in a week Great report and pictures.

Who has read this thread (Total: 163) View details