real time web analytics
Report - - St George Hospital, Morpeth, Jan 13 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St George Hospital, Morpeth, Jan 13

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

H1971

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have attempted this place twice before with no luck. Had no intentions of exploring at this time, but a message at 430 am which woke me up inviting me, changed my decision. It was a bugger to get in and what with the freezing cold and sleet it didn't go down well, so by the time we were in I was freezing, wet and bloody miserable lol. Anyway glad I came and thanks to Magpie for inviting me. Whilst inside I wasn't impressed and I am not happy with my pics but hey it was an explore all the same, but now wouldn't mind a re-visit as I am sure we have missed quite a lot of the old girl.
History -
St George’s Park Hospital opened in 1859, as the Northumberland County Pauper Lunatic Asylum. During its first 125 years or so, mental health care in Northumberland was based, largely, in St George’s Hospital. Since 1985 however, services have been increasingly focused and provided in community settings. The pace of change has quickened significantly, leading not only to a reduction in patient numbers, but in changes to the provision of hospital accommodation.
Back in 1859 there were 100 male and 100 female patients. By 1888, as additional hospital buildings were being built, the population had risen to 267 men and 244 women and in 1890 the Asylum was renamed the County Mental Hospital. The name St George’s Hospital was adopted in 1937.
Much of the original St George’s Hospital site has now been sold to English Partnerships for future housing and business developments. The new purpose-built St George’s Park, located within the grounds of the old St George’s Hospital, has now replaced the existing sprawling, part Victorian built institution.
It closed down in 1995.
This page has been taken from the patients' casebooks of the Northumberland County Lunatic Asylum, now known as St. George's Hospital, in Morpeth. The Asylum was built in 1859 and was originally planned to house 130 patients. However, by 1889 the number of patients had risen to more than 600. The casebooks contain personal information about patients names, date of admission, age, marital status, occupation, abode, religion, supposed cause of illness and detailed description of the symptoms and treatment. In the examples provided on this website the names of patients have been removed to preserve anonymity. Photographs of many patients are also included in the books. The books are an excellent source for the family historian. These books as well as many other records of St. George's Hospital have been deposited with the Northumberland Archive Service. It should be noted that access to personal information is restricted with a closure period of one hundred years in place
009621FSstgeorge_zpsf511d3b0.jpg

Pics - sorry if a few are similar to Magpie's
stgeorges040WM_zps07cc7f70.jpg

stgeorges022WM_zps5a54cbd6.jpg

stgeorges029WM_zpsbf137c36.jpg

stgeorges033WM_zps5de3078d.jpg

stgeorges020WM_zps382392b1.jpg

stgeorges047WM_zpsf1a36e86.jpg

stgeorges049WM_zps5f890126.jpg

stgeorges036WM_zpse84cecbf.jpg

stgeorges058WM_zps6bf2dd6d.jpg

stgeorges057WM_zps6acec20a.jpg