real time web analytics
Report - - ST Georges Hospital - Hornchurch - June 2018 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - ST Georges Hospital - Hornchurch - June 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
ST Georges Hospital
June 2018

F3E356FC-8EF1-48D8-9283-84407D59B4C1.jpeg
A huge site by my standards, spanning 12 Hectares.

History:
  • Opened in 1939 as an old peoples home named the suttons institute.
  • Taken over during WW2 to house airmen from RAF Hornchurch.
  • After WW2 it returned to being a care home until it was acquired by the ministry of health in 1948 and renamed to ST Georges Hospital. It was given 700 beds, mostly for geriatric purposes
  • In 1952 a Neurosis unit was set up on the grounds, becoming independent in 1956 and renamed to ‘Ingrebourne Centre’
  • The avergae age of patients in 1964 was 80, there were roughly 329 patients however only 30 full time staff.
  • In 1972 there were 384 beds for the chronically sick, dermatological and physical medicine patients, aswell as some for the neurosis cases that weren’t handled by the igngrebourne centre.
  • In 1991, the hospital came under control of the North East London Foundation Trust due to an NHS reorganisation, it now offered respiratory, physiotheraphy, heart and stroke services.
  • By the end of the 1990’s the hospital was already under threat of closure, with plans to sell the site for housing.
  • In 2003 the long-term patient beds was cut from 180 to 60.
  • A consultation was held in 2005 to decide whether to refurbish, redevelop or close the hospital.
  • One of the wards was closed around 2010
  • In 2012 the trust announced that it would refurbish the hospital, however the next month the legionella virus was found in the Hospitals water system, causing immediate closure and transfer of its remaning 44 patients.
  • No activity occured until March 2018 where the site was sold for £40million to a property developer.
A common rumour is that the hospital closed due to a ‘mental patient’ stabbing one of the nurses. Although an asisstant nurse was murdered in 2006, it was outside and unrelated to the hospitals closure.

The explore:
I have never successfully explored a site with onsite security (and dogs) so i was wary in my actions, thankfully due to the oddly positioned cameras and off-task security i was left alone for the most of it, apart from when i hid for a good 30 minutes in dirty ex-toilet while they did their patrol. Access however was not much fun.

Photos:
The boiler tower
SGyv3tq.jpg

Views from the boiler tower:
The factory-esque building
SQMiJnA.jpg

One of the 5 identical wards
WChRleX.jpg

inside the factory buildings
sT88u1x.jpg

Zbi8tRm.jpg

The flooded and infected basement
u4Nh2LI.jpg

The single corridor connecting all the hospitals main buildings was really nice too see in person
kmY4vNU.jpg

GEnqnZr.jpg

xPxwcDI.jpg

The entire corridor was covered in beautiful murals
QQlQS9c.jpg

IEOToBW.jpg

As well as some creepy ones
tDGlxGb.jpg

Havent seen one of these lifts in forever!
bXZ28Y7.jpg

Corridoors!
5CC6na4.jpg

keVwiYO.jpg

g2jZmqz.jpg

This room took me by surprise as it was one small room after another then suddenly this
7hvta7q.jpg

And then the theathe room, probably the highlight for me
3a9QDtR.jpg

0TFkjfm.jpg

a8jismc.jpg

rXcReLF.jpg

Ji9ZvHN.jpg

And some more externals to finish off
kVkOb8w.jpg

ye0KmRA.jpg

j73kgKE.jpg

Thanks for looking! let me know if there's any problems with the pictures ill try to resolve them

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Great report. Such a shame this place has essentially been stripped back to the brickwork, would be ace if it was still full of stuff!

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
Great report. Such a shame this place has essentially been stripped back to the brickwork, would be ace if it was still full of stuff!
Thank you, it was a little dissapointing. Nice pictures of the rooms to be had nonetheless
B0B302BB-D460-47C8-9D89-E31601DDDC5A.jpeg

192FC76C-DBFF-4E2D-A156-A1BED78ED5AB.jpeg

S

Supersonic

Ace report. Only got the do the morgue here cause of the security. Need to get around the rest. Is there access to the tower in the boiler room?

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
Ace report. Only got the do the morgue here cause of the security. Need to get around the rest. Is there access to the tower in the boiler room?
Some of my first pictures are taken from the top of the boiler tower, please see the top of the post. I missed the morgue due to security but mananged to do the rest, an exact opposite haha.