real time web analytics
Report - - St George's Hospital, Stafford County Lunatic Asylum | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St George's Hospital, Stafford County Lunatic Asylum

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
St Georges was the first hospital Turk and I explored back in the spring of 2005. I must have been there over a dozen times and I never tire of it. It reminds me of the dawn of the UE scene as we know it, when a few like minded guys used to talk all things asylums on the corner of a caving website. The scene was simpler back then... No politics, no bitching and keeping secrets, just the desire to see as many derelict asylums as possible. Back then there were only a handful of explorers, and you knew which bits had been done by who. We were always trying to crack this water tower or that clock, just because nobody had done it before... It was always fun to post on darkplaces after an explore to gloat that you had made it into Rauceby clock or St Mary's Chapel

Built as the Stafford county lunatic asylum, St Geroges is a unique building for Britain. It was always the most 'prisonesque' asylum, with long cold corridors of cells, caged staircases and built in chapel.

Today I found the place little more than a ruin. One side of the building was always a shell, but now the other half has followed suit, destroying the last of the 'cell' corridors. That said the hall, chapel and other rooms still survive, as does the famous caged staircase.

The fire has also burned a piece of floor above a cellar I have never seen photos of before. Loads of mouldy hospital stuff, the best of which was a wooden scale model of the hospital!

Speed Laura and I have driven the length and breadth of England over the past year in search of new stuff, but I really enjoyed a day poking around one of the old haunts!

StGeorges32of33.jpg

StGeorges31of33.jpg

StGeorges29of33.jpg

StGeorges27of33.jpg

One of the few remaining intact 'cells', which gave St Georges it's unique look.
StGeorges26of33.jpg

StGeorges25of33.jpg

StGeorges24of33.jpg

StGeorges28of33.jpg

StGeorges23of33.jpg

StGeorges21of33.jpg

StGeorges22of33.jpg

StGeorges33of33.jpg

StGeorges20of33.jpg

StGeorges19of33.jpg

StGeorges18of33.jpg

Is that a scale model I spy??
StGeorges16of33.jpg

Toy asylumzz!
StGeorges17of33.jpg

StGeorges15of33.jpg

Interesting looking cupboard
StGeorges13of33.jpg

Bloody well in it!
StGeorges14of33.jpg

StGeorges12of33.jpg

StGeorges11of33.jpg

StGeorges10of33.jpg

StGeorges9of33.jpg

StGeorges8of33.jpg

StGeorges7of33.jpg

StGeorges5of33.jpg

StGeorges4of33.jpg

StGeorges2of33.jpg

StGeorges1of33.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Amber_Louise

28DL Member
28DL Member
hi do you know if it still there have they done anything with it since? was thinking of taking a trip to it

SiKth

28DL Member
28DL Member
'By reason of insanity...'

Great photos, nice little story beforehand too.

The Guard Dog

Slightly older… still bites
28DL Full Member
hi do you know if it still there have they done anything with it since? was thinking of taking a trip to it

It's still there and I think I was the last person to post a report on this place. It's Finally being converted into flats and has been completely gutted, it's near impossible to get in and in all honesty not worth it anymore.