real time web analytics
Report - - St Georges Hospital, Stafford - May 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Georges Hospital, Stafford - May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Designed by architect Joseph Potter the Staffordshire County Asylum was opened in 1818 and housed in excess of 1,000 patients. The elegant red brick façade expands over 350 metres in length overlooking the town of Stafford from an elevated vantage point on a hill.

During the 1950's the Asylum was renamed St George's Hospital. Suicide cages were erected in the stairwells after a female patient threw herself off from the fourth floor and landed nearby reception.

As the hospital was closed in 1995, 145 long term patients who had lived at the asylum most of their lives were re-located into the surrounding 'community'. The long abandoned hospital has been left to decay for over 20 years and has severely suffered at the hands of vandals.

The derelict buildings including unique features such as the chapel and water tower have been grade II listed and in the future will house over 100 dwellings.​

It was about time I'd properly checked this place out, I visited briefly approximately 3 years ago but didn't manage to evade the security and dogs too well. Fast forward to now and things are largely the same as back then, a few bits have been demolished seemingly preventing access to the chapel, however I think there still may be a way in. There's still some bits I want to see so no doubt will be back, it's only 20 minutes down the road. Despite being completely knackered it's still a nice little explore, plenty of climbing about and avoiding falling through the floor, always makes it fun. There's also still some decent stuff to see, found a nice little room rammed full of documents from the early to mid 90's, made some interesting browsing. All in all glad I finally bothered to check it out.

_DSC0183.jpg

_DSC0185.jpg

_DSC0217.jpg

_DSC0219.jpg

_DSC0213.jpg

_DSC0174.jpg

_DSC0089.jpg

_DSC0091.jpg

_DSC0097.jpg

_DSC0098.jpg

_DSC0107.jpg

_DSC0102.jpg

_DSC0099.jpg

_DSC0167.jpg

_DSC0169.jpg

_DSC0171.jpg

_DSC0134.jpg

_DSC0136.jpg

_DSC0131.jpg

_DSC0112.jpg

_DSC0129.jpg

_DSC0149.jpg

_DSC0150.jpg

_DSC0139.jpg

_DSC0163.jpg

_DSC0205.jpg

_DSC0204.jpg

_DSC0074.jpg

_DSC0073.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Top pics :thumb

Well worth the effort :)

Was gonna say a better preserved Whittington until i saw the last pics :D

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Top job bud. Just a shame she's so far gone! Still one you can tick off the list where I can't :D

fairyclarey

Never stop exploring :)
28DL Full Member
love this building such a shame we got in here a couple months back it was pitch black darkness floor was moving under our feet great report :)

The Guard Dog

Slightly older… still bites
28DL Full Member
Yay! Good to see another report on this place. You certainly got a bit further than myself. Lovely pics on basically showing how destroyed this place is, you certainly had a lot of guts to stand on that top floor :D

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
Fantastic set - always a shame it go so wrecked, but you've really done a great job of squeezing the most out of what's left. Great stuff.

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looks a bit buggered in there mate. You got some good shots out of it though.

Buggered it is!

Cheers for the comments guys.

Now armed with some decent plans of the building, so will head back to have a rummage in the basement and other bits.

Squirrell 911

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Buggered it is!

Cheers for the comments guys.

Now armed with some decent plans of the building, so will head back to have a rummage in the basement and other bits.
Easy way to find basement. Go to ground floor and jump up and down lots til you go through (landing may smart a bit though) ;)

The Guard Dog

Slightly older… still bites
28DL Full Member
Easy way to find basement. Go to ground floor and jump up and down lots til you go through (landing may smart a bit though) ;)

You're 100% correct, I ruined a pair of trousers when my left foot went through a floor on the ground floor on the far left of the building.

Humpa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very jassy bro :thumb i still need to haul my ass back in here, its even less than your 20 minutes and i still never get round to it :p: