real time web analytics
Report - - St George's House (AKA the Nestlé Tower), Croydon, Greater London. April 2013. | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St George's House (AKA the Nestlé Tower), Croydon, Greater London. April 2013.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

leanrascal

social constructionist
28DL Full Member
This is part one of a two-part explore. Part two can be found here, although that one is for members only as it was a live site.

Place: St George's House (AKA the Nestlé Tower)
Completion date: 1964
Height: 80 metres
Done with: One Flew East

St George's House (AKA the Nestlé Tower) was vacated in September 2012, and is being refurbished and converted into apartments. It was time to have a closer look, and indeed the inside of the building was pretty uninteresting, mostly 24 completely empty floors, apart from the top service floor where the lift machinery was still running. Some people were obviously busy breaking everything down up there. Among heaps of broken down masonry, cabling, piping and other various piles of rubbish, we also unexpectedly found access to two empty flats. Otherwise the bulk of our time was spent on the roof, which offered a different perspective on my daily commute to and from work.

Surprisingly, I couldn’t find a single report of this building anywhere, which puzzled me. Are there no urban explorers in Croydon?!?

P1140306.jpg

Nestl̩ Tower РLooking West towards, err, West Croydon, with the Croydon Clock Tower to the left, being renovated and covered in scaffoldings

P1140278.jpg

Nestl̩ Tower РLooking North East, George Street and East Croydon Station to the right and Wellesley Rd to the left

P1140286.jpg

Nestlé Tower – Looking South, overlooking The Queen’s Gardens and Croydon Council straight ahead

P1140304.jpg

Nestl̩ Tower РLooking East, overlooking The Croydon College. The red light is there to direct ships towards the Croydon Port. I think.

P1140319.jpg

Nestl̩ Tower РSitting on the window-cleaning crane, looking North

P1140326.jpg

Nestl̩ Tower РThe eltseN sign, the meaning of which still eludes me.

P1140337.jpg

Nestl̩ Tower РNo idea who these two guys are. Honest.

Thanks to One Flew East for simply being an awesome urban exploration partner.

Last edited:

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Bump this jheeze

NB redevelopment is now in full swing unfortunately. End of an era.

Last edited:

leanrascal

social constructionist
28DL Full Member
NB redevelopment is now in full swing unfortunately. End of an era.
Really? I keep driving past and can't see anything happening. At all. Am I missing something or are you thinking of the ex-Croydon Council building next door?

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Yeah it's a building site right now. First few floors are being worked on 5 days a week. I spoke with some buildings a couple of months ago, the whole Story George's walk complex redevelopment is underway albeit in early stages. There's a model of the masterplan in some adjacent offices they left the door open on one day.

IMG_20180831_212947.jpg