real time web analytics
Report - - St George's Pump House, Lancaster - April 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St George's Pump House, Lancaster - April 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
St George's Pump House

I must admit I thought this had long gone, but scanning through a recent planning application I noticed a small block labelled "Pump House" was still showing. Looking into it further it seems that the building is to be refurbished to include repairs to all the glazed brickwork on the inside and the external shell, with new windows and doors where they currently sit bricked up. The building will be used as a bin and cycle store for the new mixed use development.

Let's rewind a bit... Luneside East sits immediately to the west of the Carlisle railway bridge and comprised a large nineteenth century mill fronting onto the road (St George's Works), various other mills behind that hemmed in by two railway embankments, and the gasometer.

The site had lain derelict for some years when in May 2012 St George's Works suffered at the hands of arsonists. The western section - due to be retained and converted - was set ablaze. Although the frontage was continuous, the eastern half was actually added a bit later, and when the demolition team moved in, this newer bit was demolished with everything that sat behind it.

StGeorgesDemo_zps4575c617.jpg

Also lining the quayside frontage was the former gas works buildings (below), which would have been nice to convert had they not also been demolished. I'm not against progress, but it seems that an awful lot of Lancaster heritage has been removed of late, with the new additions only serving to detract from the whole 'Historic City' thing.

GasWorks_zps46479bc0.jpg

In case you're wondering at this point, further down the quay the old Lune Mills site has also now gone, with a housing estate rising from the rubble apace.

LuneMillsDemo_zpsef16b603.jpg

St George's Pump House: The explore

I put my head round the door a few weeks ago when I first read the planning application for the imminent building work, but in the murkiness of first light it looked pretty trashed so I left again. This time though I wandered in in broad daylight to get some shots while a local argument rages on around the plans. The now largely cleared site is pictured below, reflected in the water that sits in the footprint of the former gasometer.

Reflection_zps8b78e136.jpg

The remains of St George's Works are to be converted but don't figure on any plans at the moment, the focus being on the new houses. The mountain of rubble - as is now standard practice - must be reused on site. The fire ravaged mill is in a pretty sorry state with nothing really of any note. The Pump House however is worth a look if you're passing. On to the internals:

Vista_zps3779af87.jpg

Tank_zpsadd84cf0.jpg

Hole_zpsa5f73c56.jpg

Stairs_zps475a27a3.jpg

Gantry_zpsf7e0f0e9.jpg

Hook_zps924e742e.jpg

Gantry2_zps209a988e.jpg

Rooflight_zpsb53963ee.jpg

Sign_zps6d7412ce.jpg

Plate_zpsc33a3559.jpg

Brick_zps0e10e5ca.jpg

So there you have it. I'm surprised it's actually being retained but it's a nice nod to Lancaster's heritage that's all too rare.

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:

Xiuhtecuhtli

28DL Member
28DL Member
Gorgeous photos and great to see some new info on our local landmarks. What's the planning permission for? I heard rumor it was for indie art/craft studios. I hope that's the case. What camera do you use? Lovely and clear, even inside where I know it's dingy. Mine gets grainy. :/

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Gorgeous photos and great to see some new info on our local landmarks. What's the planning permission for? I heard rumor it was for indie art/craft studios. I hope that's the case. What camera do you use? Lovely and clear, even inside where I know it's dingy. Mine gets grainy. :/

Thanks very much :) I use a Canon EoS 6D - It handles very well in low light and these are a mix of tripod mounted shots and hand-held ones at ISO3200. The demo shots were taken on my old 550D.

Not sure about the planning permission for St George's Works but I had read about a mix of office space, with restaurants and fashion outlets on the lower levels. The problem is in it all being speculative with no firm future use. I'd also say that looking at the fire damaged steel work it may need to be reconstructed from the inside out, which makes it an expensive project with no guarantee of a return...

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Great shots! Looking forward to seeing yours from yesterday.

I really need a new camera the d40 is shocking in low light. This year deffo due an upgrade

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great shots! Looking forward to seeing yours from yesterday.

I really need a new camera the d40 is shocking in low light. This year deffo due an upgrade

Cheers mate :thumb The 6D is great at high ISOs but it doesn't sit properly on anything other than a sturdy tripod. Could have done with that on the later sites yesterday but I think I've got a good set. Will post some reports in the next couple of days!

H1971

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah some lovely shots. Always nice to see a pumping house still intact. Well done :thumb