real time web analytics
Report - - St George's Works Mill - Lancaster (July 2016) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St George's Works Mill - Lancaster (July 2016)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

LeeRielly

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Anyways, history about the St George's Works Mill in Lancaster is pretty scarce, I struggled to find anything substantial.

All I know is that there was a fire at the site in 2012 and I believe that is the reason why this mill closed down.
Access to the building was pretty obvious yet was quite a heart-in-mouth moment when actually getting into the place!

Untitled_Panorama2.jpg

This out building was pretty much impossible to enter, we checked every nook and cranny and couldn't find a way in, the only way in that we could see was through the roof and we didn't really fancy our chances!

As soon as we entered the main building, we were greeted by graffiti sprawled across the walls, it was odd graffiti though... Aliens, spaceships and penises!

IMG_1199.jpg

k_Ma_JNZ5.jpg

In this first room we found evidence of it being a central hub of the place;
- Wiring
- Main stairwells
- Main metal door
- Access to basement

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

We were greeted by another very large room, very bare and signs of the fire damage.
We slowly ventured out into the middle of the room where we could see that the remaining three floors above us had already collapsed into the floor that we were on! (First floor)

Untitled_Panorama3.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

We WERE going to head upstairs until we looked up and saw that this was the ceiling of the first floor/floor of the second floor... It was actually bending!

IMG_1284.jpg

We heard some kids entering the building and advised them to leave ASAP as the building was very unsafe, we kept an eye on them and made sure they got out safely.

One last silhouette shot from the first floor before we left the building.

IMG_1298.jpg

Overall, it wasn't the most exciting exploration ever, there was nothing left in the building but it was interesting to see the building fire damaged and evidence of an emergency exit.

My friend who I explored with also wrote a post on his blog about our exploration:
https://offlimitsexploration.wordpress.com/2016/07/25/st-georges-works-mill/

Again, if you have time... Check out the video we made from the site:

Thanks for taking a look!
Lee

krissy thomson

28DL Member
28DL Member
HI the building did belong to our family since 1943. Lancaster city council took it off us with a compulsory purchase. There were many tenants that were happy there. I have loads of photos. Sadly we are still in great dispute with the council as they never paid us in full what we were promised.

Stereoworld

28DL Member
28DL Member
The mill was actually demolished this week. Bit of a pity since I admired it from afar ever since moving up to Lancaster a few years ago.

Surprise surprise, student flats will be built on the site.