real time web analytics
Report - - St Hilda's Church, Rochdale, May 19 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Hilda's Church, Rochdale, May 19

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
This is a very unique place, being on a quiet road right above a large tourist lake,
History: (From @bignickb)

In 1931 at Featherstall, Littleborough; a rural area near Rochdale, it was moved and rebuilt using it's original external sheets of steel and fondly titled The Iron church! Although it's superstructure is mainly wood!
Hollingworth had a considerable Roman Catholic population but no place of worship.
So, for six thousand pounds it was acquired and moved to a hillside by Hollingworth lake.
The Name St Hilda's was suggested by Cannon Raines, whose grandfather had been a vicar at St Hilda's on the hill in Whitby and decided to keep the name alive.
In 1975 it was divided into two to be used as a meeting place as well as a Parish church.
In 1998 it was deemed unsafe and closed. And that's how it has remained.

Explore
A lovely early summers day in rochdale, i started it here, and ended it by falling a muddy swamp, (Story for a different time) This place is hidden behind someones house, making the walk to the place very risky, but it was okay non the less, there is now a hole on the left side of the building which was not there in Nicks report, The Floorboards are extremely Rotten and some could easily collapse when under pressure, so i recommend sooner than latter as the floor is very much collapsing, making it a maze to walk around,

Pictures

this is what i was speaking about

View attachment 825754

the view onto said lake, Thanks for viewing!

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
The shot of the cobwebs on the books is a belter.

I was surprised to see how detailed it is inside given how unremarkable the outside seems.

Good report man.

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
The shot of the cobwebs on the books is a belter.

I was surprised to see how detailed it is inside given how unremarkable the outside seems.

Good report man.
thanks, indeed, looks no more than a barn at first glance but there is alot inside, I thought that shot was abit blurry, but hey thanks for liking!

bignickb

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I can't believe I missed that old radio!!! Great explore, did you hear any knocking from under the floorboards? That was our cue to leave. Eeek!!!

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
I can't believe I missed that old radio!!! Great explore, did you hear any knocking from under the floorboards? That was our cue to leave. Eeek!!!
Nope But the floor boards where like cheese, could of easily broke, a lovely place to relax before falling in a pond at a mill