real time web analytics
Report - - St Hilda's, Rochdale 0618 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Hilda's, Rochdale 0618

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bignickb

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's not often that you hear about a church being sold and moved to another location - unless a Dam is being built, etc. But this humble little church went through exactly that!
In 1931 at Featherstall, Littleborough; a rural area near Rochdale, it was moved and rebuilt using it's original external sheets of steel and fondly titled The Iron church! Although it's superstructure is mainly wood!
Hollingworth had a considerable Roman Catholic population but no place of worship.
So, for six thousand pounds it was acquired and moved to a hillside by Hollingworth lake.
The Name St Hilda's was suggested by Cannon Raines, whose grandfather had been a vicar at St Hilda's on the hill in Whitby and decided to keep the name alive.
In 1975 it was divided into two to be used as a meeting place as well as a Parish church.
In 1998 it was deemed unsafe and closed. And that's how it has remained.
After a tip off I did a bit of research and managed to find the area it was in but not the actual building, the road it is on is a farmers track with a dead end so we had to backtrack and try a different way. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted it so we parked up for a closer look. After a long walk and midges declaring WW3 on us, we finally got there and managed to find a way in.
The whole thing is very rickety and unsafe so full attention was required. I've never seen a place with such a long period of closure that hadn't been stripped of copper and other valuables - in fact it could have been closed yesterday!
It really was a treat to capture it and the last of the days blazing sun lit it beautifully.
Only a few windows facing the adjacent, occupied property were untouched, all the rest were boarded up.
After hearing knocking noises from what appeared to be Under the floorboards and one of my shots mysteriously blocked by Something - we decided to leave. All in all a Great explore.
On with the pics:
_DSC4773b.jpg
_DSC4778b.jpg
_DSC4795b.jpg
_DSC4798b.jpg
_DSC4802b.jpg
_DSC4814b.jpg
_DSC4817b.jpg
_DSC4827b.jpg
_DSC4830b.jpg
_DSC4846b.jpg
_DSC4838b.jpg
_DSC4855b.jpg
_DSC4861b.jpg
_DSC4892b.jpg
_DSC4898b.jpg
_DSC4840b.jpg

Last edited:

UrbandonedTeam

the north
Regular User
Nice one man seen this one a bit recently on instagram, was planning to here myself today actually but didn't get round to it. Lovely little spot

Baggy trousers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I remember someone telling about this place a while back, never got round to looking it up and thought it would have gone by now.
Looks great that a despite being closed for a long while it looks like it's escaped the Rochdale reckitmassive!
Great post and thanks for sharing.