real time web analytics
Report - - St Ita's Hospital/Portrane Asylum - Ireland (July 2016) | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Ita's Hospital/Portrane Asylum - Ireland (July 2016)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Back in the summer, Me, @host @sammydoublewhammy and @Cloth Head headed over to Ireland for a weekend, managed to see a couple of nice Asylums which I've previously done reports on and some tasty Industry, on the way back to the Airport we headed for St Ita's Psychiatric Hospital.
Taking a long walk along a coastal path we found ourselves on site of this huge complex, It was clear quite a few parts were already converted, some were still live and some were building sites, to top it off there were plenty of people knocking about. So we set to blending in and headed for the derpiest looking sections, past security just sat randomly in cars looking after the plant machinery and after a while managed to find a way in.

To be fair I didn't think this warranted a report as we barely scratched the surface, but I'll chuck some up anyhow, every time we thought we were getting somewhere we would hit locked doors or a live section making it a nightmare to navigate around, eventually we ran out of time and had to head to the airport - I'm sure there's plenty to see here for anyone who might be heading over any time soon, there's quite a few derelict sections worth looking at that we didn't have time for.

Some history........

Building commenced in 1895 on Portrane Lunatic Asylum, It was the most expensive building in Ireland paid for by the British Government having an initial budget of £200,000 but this rose to £300,000 by the time it was finally completed
The facility was seen as being at the forefront of mental health care when it was opened in 1903 with a capacity of 1,200 beds.
The hospital was divided between men and women, and then it was further divided into four further sections depending on a the severity of the mental illness involved.

In it's heyday St. Ita's operated effectively as a self-sufficient mini-town and was looked upon as a 'model' for the care of the mentally ill. Surrounded by 300 acres of farm-land and housing 2 churches, a bakery, a butcher, a tailor, a hairdresser and even a shoe repair service, this hive of industry even had its own fire station, morgue and graveyard. Food for the then 1600 patients and over 300 live-in staff was prepared and cooked in huge on-site kitchens with some of its vegetables grown in the extensive gardens on the campus. Laundry facilities required a staff of seventeen with as many patients also working on a part-time in this area.

Pics...........

it.jpg

it7.jpg

it3.jpg
it16.jpg

it2.jpg

it11.jpg

it4.jpg
it17.jpg

it14.jpg
it6.jpg

it9.jpg

it10.jpg

it12.jpg

it13.jpg

it8.jpg

Last edited:

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
absolutely lovinng all thee irish asylums dude! well done to you boys for getting out there, havent been on 28 much lately as was getting a bit same old same old so nice to see something different getting thrown in the mix :thumb:thumb

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Stunning photos. Do you know if the main hall is out of use?
Didn't get to find out mate. Admin block defo in use. Some of the newer wards we could see through windows lights on. Hopefully someone else might get more luck, we just ran out of time.