Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - St James baths. Doncaster | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - St James baths. Doncaster

Vertigo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
suprised that this isn't on here tbh

I have found some info online basically st James baths closed in October 2013 due to structural reasons it's a large leisure centre in the centre of Doncaster. Looks sealed up tight and it's next to the police station and the courts if anybody wants a challenge

It has a large swimming pool and other leisure facilities.

I won't bore you with pictures as there are plenty on google images. And it looks beautiful inside.

I can't find any reports on here or any other urbex site so could be a good first report.

I'm unable to access it's all boarded up so may need a bit of climb splash trapped lol. Even the local yobs haven't found a way in.

It is a grade 2 listed building and requires circa £2m to make safe so don't think it will be done anytime soon

designed as a multi-purpose recreational building to be used year-round, with an entrance for the pool, Turkish and Russian baths and associated areas, and a separate concert entrance for winter events, when the pool hall was floored over, with the provision of a stage and projector room for films, both of which survive; * Intactness: the original mosaic tiling survives throughout, and the primary areas of the Turkish baths suite and pool hall both remain intact, including a pool with square port holes associated with underwater lighting, which was a first in English swimming pool design; * Rarity: The Turkish baths (dry heat), and partially retiled Russian bath (steam) are an increasingly rare example of a common building form, of which only around 20 remain in England. As a suite, it is a good representative example of an inter-war Turkish baths, which though less ornate than Victorian or Edwardian examples, survives largely intact, retaining mosaic floor and wall tiling and original drinking fountain.

More info here:

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1403445

Vertigo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes it's sealed including the roof, hence no report. Happy to recheck with you if you're up this way though.
I'm now in Chesterfield area unfortunately. Just had a look whilst passing through. It looked very sealed to me. Definately one to keep an eye on though given the rewards that may prevail