real time web analytics
Report - - St Johns Asylum - April 2010 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Johns Asylum - April 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
I managed a couple of quick trips to St Johns Aslylum while working in the area. First impressions is it's a fantastic complex of buildings looking fairly intact, but once inside you soon realise the floors are rotten and much of the internal fabric of the building have been torn out over the years leaving long empty corridors, echoing rooms and the sound of your footsteps everywhere you go.

Some of the buildings on the Northern edge of the complex are occupied and overlook some of the courtyards.

Originally the asylum was known as the Lindsey and Holland Counties and Lincoln and Grimsby District Lunatic Asylum. It was designed by John R Hamilton with the assistance of Thomas Percy in about 1848. St Johns was completed and opened its doors in 1852 but was soon enlarged in 1959 and then again in 1866. A Chapel was built in 1869 and could seat 450. The asylum was enlarged again in 1881 and again in 1902 to house approximately 900 patients.

The asylum finally changed its name to St Johns Asylum in 1961. Due to reforms with mental health care St Johns closed in 1989. It was bought by property developers who built houses on half the site. As the main buildings are grade II listed planes have been drawn up to covert the buildings into apartments, but both companies which have tried have pulled out of the development.

I was lucky to stumble across most of the well photographed features on my first visit, I’ll start with the ornate passage near the centre of the main building.

DerelictPassage.jpg

Off this I soon found my way to the Ball Room; which must have been an impressive space in it's hey day.

Sportshall.jpg

Just as it was getting dark I found the iconic stairwell, thought it would have occupied a larger space, but still impressive.

Steps.jpg

Abandoned.jpg

That was the end of my first explore, a week later I was back again. This time with a little bit more time which allowed a wander round the main building and a revisit to the stairwell.

aaa.jpg

One of the many passages.

aa.jpg

The passages often took you to large impressive rooms, I was suprised how many toilets and shower rooms there are throughout the asylum!

IMG_0010.jpg

Another of the passages with small rooms either side.

Theasylum.jpg

Nature has started to reclaim many of the rooms, thankfully not too many pigeons.

Creepingin.jpg

These are fantastic buildings and would be a shame if they were just left to fall appart.

IMG_0013.jpg

Well that's it,

TLR.​

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details