real time web analytics
Report - - St Johns Asylum - lincoln - Nov 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Johns Asylum - lincoln - Nov 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
ello again chaps and chapettes, i've already harped on about a load of nonsense nothing to do with the explore on my carlton theatre report so if you want some sort of personal intro and explanation about how the explore came about then id say go read the first paragraph of my carlton report and then come back to me :P diving straight in with the explore.

The explore.
Landed in lincoln about 20/30 mins before the other guys and proceeded to drive an oap special fish and chips with curry sauce into me before going for a wander around the perimeter of the site and getting an idea for what we were looking at once the other lads landed. the recce told me half the site is a building site and half the access to the site is tucked away at the back of a row of housing estates gardens, during my recce i also walked straight into the secca, i wasn't anywhere i shouldn't be but at the same time i had no good reason to be where i was with a camera and tripod hanging off me if you know what i mean, he defo knew what i was here for and didn't take his eyes off me as i pretended to be on the phone and looked like i was looking for house number along the row of houses opposite the main entrance. shortly after the lads landed aswell and we proceeded to wander the perimeter fence together, sods law as soon we walk within 20 feet of the fence mr secca strolls around the corner, just as im pointing out a potential weak spot in the fence, again we weren't anywhere we shouldn't be but now there was four of us wandering around looking rather suspicious, we walked around the public footpath and the whole time the secca staring at us, we walked into the housing estate to discuss our options as by this point secca was stood on top of a mound of earth on us like a hawk. we decided to cut through the housing estate and make our way around the front, once we had done a loop we were back where we started with no secca so swiftly over we went and in no time we were in, it was getting pretty dark pretty fast at this point but luckily we were armed with torches so wasn't too much of a problem apart from the potential for being easily spotted wandering around with torches of course! quite enjoyed the mooch in the dark, wasn't as creepy as you'd want an old asylum in the dark, think the place has lost a lot of its vibe through the building project but still has nice features in there. All in a nice little mooch and a good start to the weekend :D

History
St John’s Asylum in Lincolnshire, in the East of England was built 1852. The building was then known as Lindsey & Holland Counties & Lincoln & District Lunatic Asylum. The Asylum has also been known over the years as Lincolnshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum and Bracebridge Heath Asylum. Finally it was given the name St John’s during the early 1960’s.

It was originally built to house just 250 patients, but by 1902 the asylum grounds covered 120 acres. The grounds of the asylum were cultivated by the inmates as they grew their own vegetables. Within the grounds was a cemetery for the hospital which covered 1.5 acres. St John’s also had its own mortuary chapel.

After the outbreak of World War II during 1940, the patients were transferred to other nearby establishments as the hospital was turned into an emergency hospital.

In 1948 the administration of the hospital was passed to the National Health Service.

The asylum finally closed it's doors during December 1989 with all the patients being transferred to other nearby hospitals.

The site was then sold to developers who have converted a lot of the site into new housing.

All that now remains is the main asylum buildings which are Grade II listed and cannot be demolished. However work is now under way to convert the main buildings into flats.

on with the picys

23453580325_8e97ce5a31_b.jpg

23453641475_eec75ae6e4_b.jpg

23453704165_eb42475633_b.jpg

23453661125_58aeb20442_b.jpg

23085705609_cb33f70da3_b.jpg

23371153801_f2b16d9a8e_b.jpg

23157844420_31209b6600_b.jpg

23085614529_c826b6a729_b.jpg

23085624969_e4b7cabcfa_b.jpg

23371130791_862e0398db_b.jpg

23453609605_ccd74a24f2_b.jpg

22826479413_62f5c7d0ae_b.jpg

thanks for looking kids, take it sleazy :P

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Loved the commentary! Yes, I too saw Mr Secca. Very friendly he was but there to do the job!

Urbexbandoned

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Love this place, the honeycomb ceilings really are a nice feature here. Those iconic arches are the best bit though :) Nice pics Jake

Cobbles11

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
wow some great shots! really intrigued by this place. time to pay it a visit me thinks!

Charlie B

28DL Member
28DL Member
It's only a 10 min drive from where I'm based! This place is next on my list, thanks for sharing!