Web
Analytics
Report - - St johns Feb 2011 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - St johns Feb 2011



Gh0sT

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
Visited with :

The Invisibleman and Angel (copper in disguise)
We all thought the site had been locked down pretty tight compared to previous visits, all the access points seem to be being repaired as quickly as they are been made available, all the lower floors are boarded up tight as a nuns bum.
An opportunity arose and we were in.
The old faithful sploring jacket suffered another brutal rip/tear so the needle and cotton will be out again !! (i wonder if its the beer gut :eek

History

St. Johns Asylum was designed by John R Hamilton of Gloucester assisted by Thomas Percy, Surveyor to the County of Kesteven , the Asylum was also called “Bracebridge Heath Asylum,â€￾ but its formal name was the long and cumbersome: “Lindsey and Holland Counties and Lincoln and Grimsby District Lunatic Asylum.

It also operated under the name: “Lincolnshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum and was built in 1852 on a slight rise in Bracebridge parish, Originally built to house 250 inmates, it was enlarged in 1859, 1866, 1881 and 1902.

The asylum grounds covered 120 acres.

The asylum finally closed in 1989 and was bought by a property developer a few years later who has converted half of the site into houses but the main asylum buildings are Grade II listed buildings and cant be demolished.

1852-1893 Lincolnshire County Lunatic Asylum or Lincolnshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum
1894-1915 Lincolnshire Lunatic Asylum
1897-1898 Lindsey, Holland, Lincoln and Grimsby District Pauper Lunatic Asylum
1903-1920 Lincolnshire Asylum
1898-1902 Bracebridge Pauper Lunatic Asylum
1902-1919 Bracebridge District Lunatic Asylum
1919-1948 Bracebridge Mental Hospital
1930-1938 Lincolnshire Mental Hospital
1939-1960 Bracebridge Heath Hospital
1961-1989 St John’s Hospital, Bracebridge Heath

The grounds were cultivated by the inmates to provide vegetables and sewage was disposed of by irrigation over 10 acres of land about a half mile from the asylum.
St. Johns also had a cemetery of one and half acres on the grounds, with its own mortuary chapel.

Pictures :

210wtmk800x531.jpg


209wtmk800x531.jpg


60wtmk800x530.jpg


223531x800wtmk.jpg
181wtmk531x800.jpg


01531x800wtmkwtmk.jpg
215wtmk531x800.jpg


146wtmk800x531.jpg


6800x531wtmkwtmk.jpg


123wtmk531x800.jpg
184wtmk531x800.jpg


44wtmk800x531.jpg


26wtmk800x531.jpg


Thanks for Looking :)
 

Attachments