Report - - St John's Wirral January 2010 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St John's Wirral January 2010


28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History shamelessly stolen from elsewhere and rehashed slightly

The church of St. John was erected in 1832-33. The land was purchased by Sir John Tobin of Liscard Hall from F.R Price Esq., formerly part of the possessions of Birkenhead Priory. The cost of erecting the church was defrayed by shareholders in subscriptions of £100 each, and the church was managed for the first forty years of its existence by trustees. The church was consecrated on 31st October 1831, by the Bishop of Chester, the Revd. J. B Summer, who later became the Archbishop of Canterbury. It was opened on 19th May 1833 and is the oldest standing church in Wallasey. The church, built to accommodate 1,800 to 2,000 persons, is simple in Grecian design, and typical of of the period of its erection, it harmonised well with the houses in Church Street which led up to the church from the ferry at Egremont.
The church commands a dignified view with its large flute columns in the Doric style. The stone came from the quarry in Newlands Drive. Originally plans were drawn up for a tower, but the idea was dropped. There are lancet windows on either side of the church and the building once boasted a gallery. The ceiling has a span of sixty-three feet six inches, which makes it the largest unsupported ceiling on the whole of Merseyside. Most other churches have the roof supported with stone columns.

The first vicar of St. John's was Sir John Tobin's son, the Revd. John Tobin, M.A,. who lived in Liscard House, where Chatsworth Avenue is now. Revd. Tobin served the parish until 1862.

Alterations and improvements were carried out at various times in the 1860's. In 1933, to mark the centenary, a complete renovation and redecoration was carried out at a cost of £700. Although not actually hit by bombs during the Second World War, St. John's suffered heavy damage from blast and had to be closed for a time while temporary repairs were effected. In 1951 restoration work was begun, but this proved more extensive than was at first expected and was not completed until March 1954.

The church is listed as a building with special architectural interest on account of the large ceiling. With falling membership the church closed and offered for Sale in 2004 with planning permission given for the alteration of the building to flats in 2006.

This hasn't actually happened yet, I assume it's stalled like much of the developments in the UK, well worth a mooch

















Conquistador d'Wolverton
28DL Full Member
Nice find there mate, and a nice report. If planning permission was granted in 2006, chances are unless work has already begun, the application will have timed-out

Redavni Ecaps

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Still nothing happened with this building.