Web
Analytics
St Jonathon the evangelist, Crawshawbooth, December 2015. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

St Jonathon the evangelist, Crawshawbooth, December 2015.

LancashireExplorations

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
The History
The area of Higher Booths was reliant on St Mary & All Saints at Goodshaw to provide a place of worship for the Anglican community from the mid-sixteenth century. By the 1880s, with the rapidly increasing population of Crawshawbooth, it was unable to cope, with the demand for pews being fifty applicants for every pew vacancy.

At the same time as this rise in population the Brooks family where also rising in prestige and wealth. The Brooks family, who were cattle dealers from Whalley, came to Crawshawbooth at the turn of the 18th century acquiring Sunnyside House and then added Crawshaw Hall in 1831. They owned Sunnyside Print works and also a number of quarries in the Rossendale area from which a lot of the local houses and mills were built. In 1884 Thomas Brooks became High Sheriff of Lancashire and was created Baron Crawshaw in 1892. They also had houses at Tarporley in Cheshire and Long Whatton, Leicestershire.

In 1888 Thomas Brooks donated the land and £3,000 towards the building of St John the Evangelist (total cost approx. £12,000), the exterior of which is built of local stone with `York` stone dressing and the interior is red Rainhill sandstone. The Church which was consecrated 25th October 1892 is often referred to as "The Cathedral of Rossendale". The Church was originally served by the vicars of Goodshaw, but in 1899 it was created an independent Parish and remained so until 1984 when the benefice became a joint one with Goodshaw.


The Explore
Gone with @Lancashire lad & a none member, took a while to try find a way in, no luck but just before we were leaving we gave it one more try and found a secret special wacky way in ;)

On with the photos


Outside
23355755760_69d3db34ff_z.jpg


23283484859_47455ecd7e_z.jpg


23542860272_ca84d52aa8_z.jpg


Why not?
23651426035_182c14e3d4_z.jpg


23542857352_3d8212d122_z.jpg


23568995781_1fb1130191_z.jpg


Lovely colour on this :p
23023241834_5862b2f3d1_z.jpg


23024360633_74bfd96735_z.jpg


23625394166_8279a4b865_z.jpg


23023288684_bd3cb9d8f6_z.jpg


23023284654_aa2bc98c64_z.jpg


23023280334_869e71af01_z.jpg


23283508139_f68fd6cce3_z.jpg


23542881972_bfd558eca6_z.jpg


23283502839_d35276f480_z.jpg


23569018041_3777001712_z.jpg


23651439565_1f38a71d0f_z.jpg


23283488169_deb08e3303_z.jpg


23283491099_93241cb051_z.jpg


23651583345_caf46a731a_z.jpg


23569161071_b59376860d_z.jpg



Thanks for viewing :D.​
 

Attachments

Choo Choo m8ty

Mr Reality Hacker
Regular User
#2
Really nice m8ty. Looks sweet there many thanks for everything kk m8ty. And thx for report m8ty and nice pics
 

Similar threads