real time web analytics
Report - - St. Joseph’s Seminary – Feb 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. Joseph’s Seminary – Feb 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

sho

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with Gone, Millhouse and Rookie

What can I say.. The experience definitely matched the hype. The culmination of some hard work and forward thinking eventually led us here after we had lustred after it for so long. A truly infamous place.

History

St Joseph's College, is a Former Roman Catholic seminary. It was founded by Bishop Bernard O'Reilly to be the Seminary serving the North West of England. The college was formally opened in 1883 and was situated in Walthew Park, Upholland Candidates for the priesthood studied and were ordained at the college. Up until the second Vatican, Council boys as young as 11 years of age entered the Junior Seminary before progressing to the senior Seminary at 18. In later years and with declining numbers the Senior seminary moved to Ushaw. St Joseph's continued to offer boarding school education for boys considering a vocation until 1987. Since then it has been used as a retreat/conference centre and is now undergoing controversial plans to be converted into 92 apartments.

After meeting up on the night we ditched our initial plan for a dawn raid in favour of a Pro-hobo plan B and in the dead of night and in the rain we set about this epic challenge. Some time later and after navigating in total darkness we eventually settled in a room, chuffed that we could now begin to dry off. Our sleep however, would be disturbed all night by all manor of haunting and bizarre sounds. The floor we had chosen appeared to be some sort of oak boards, while a chimney provided us with some February air.

After making it through to dawn we awoke and discovered very quickly that we were not alone. Then it got even worse.. As we watched Wigan’s finest arrive in their hoards and it became apparent that we had chosen to visit on the same day that they train their dogs in and around the building. The following hours were seriously intense. Close calls were constant. At times we just felt trapped sitting holed up for hours waiting for what seemed like an inevitable ending, yet somehow miraculously we managed to get by without confrontation till we could eventually make our escape.

We were limited as to where we could go and unfortunately could not get to the main chapel but I’m not complaining. What we did see was pure beauty! I guess I had envisaged beaming heavenly rays so had neglected to bring a tripod which turned out to be a bit of a fail as the weather was poor. Here’s what I got between scares.

iiD6y.jpg

akDZs.jpg

u3aC7.jpg

zCtjB.jpg

uLuip.jpg

Cl4Lo.jpg

XRXEL.jpg

ugQgy.jpg

ziOPz.jpg

qf6D7.jpg

IbwS2.jpg

O63tS.jpg

ymUzO.jpg

579m8.jpg

tKcjg.jpg

c2m8T.jpg

ca1wu.jpg

96IIk.jpg

glOHK.jpg

Djhzk.jpg

ST5DV.jpg

Vn2fg.jpg

GTT2n.jpg

1d8fA.jpg

oJzUt.jpg

NVcCj.jpg

YpjWO.jpg

7iimx.jpg

dVInG.jpg

rCQN9.jpg

Thanks for looking and thanks to those who came along. Sho

sho

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks alot for the comments.:)

Alot of stuff has gone..Cleared out over the past few years. The Gradwell library was sadly bare. The roof and the sinks did make up for it though.

Just a word of warning. If you go here, there is alot to contend with, in other words.. Don't go looking for cheap access because sadly it doesn't exist.:thumb

OfAOD.jpg

LOL​

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details