real time web analytics
Report - - St Joseph's Orphanage – Preston – May 2012 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Joseph's Orphanage – Preston – May 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

sho

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
St Joseph's Orphanage – Preston – May 2012

HiIaa.jpg

This place had evaded me earlier last year by being as tight as a nuns chuff. A return was always on the cards but had been forgotten about until recently. There was always something that had intrigued me about the place, things id heard from others and its various unique factors that made it quite a challenging one to see.

Recently I ended up here, randomly and on my own one morning after I hadn’t slept and managed to get in and around virtually the whole place. It was an experience that I won't forget but it was all a bit weird and mental and I returned at a later date with Hidden and Tweek to get more photos and a better look. Here’s how she currently stands.

231fI.jpg
NiCQZ.jpg

History

St Josephs Orphanage was constructed in 1872 after an endowment from Mrs Maria Holland. It was designed by R W Hughe's and for the sole purpose of looking after Roman Catholic girls by nuns. A second building was later added in 1877 for the benefit of sick Roman Catholics. It was later known as Mount Street Hospital and used to care for soldiers in both world wars, the hospital received it's first operating theatre in 1910 and new hospital wings were added in 1933 and 1958. Part of the hospital has also been a nursing home, finally closing in 1986. The building is of grade 2 listing and was granted permission for redevelopment in 2004.

P2e55.jpg

RHguZ.jpg

pHpMf.jpg

HBuSU.jpg

F7Ha7.jpg

3Ys58.jpg

wr3VL.jpg

The older orphanage which contains the stunning chapel proceeds on to the newer but retro as fuck hospital which is in great condition and still with its lovely features.

q3F7C.jpg

9DQOS.jpg

eV2AK.jpg

xmUkJ.jpg

0cHel.jpg

uaaEV.jpg

It’s been a while since I’ve seen a hospital or even wanted to see one for that matter. This one is more akin to those in europe. It has been well protected and religion always leaves a certain dark and intense atmosphere which can be felt here for sure. It’s like a propper lost little world and a real time capsule.

5lq7w.jpg

1JYdB.jpg

UWGKT.jpg

EmoGA.jpg

lLhF5.jpg

gA5yY.jpg

Q83ij.jpg

hJCku.jpg

MMYva.jpg

QJkmC.jpg
PBvsV.jpg

Tjyyx.jpg